Making Curtains From Towels

Has anyone made towels into curtains with grommets? I would like a spa looking bathroom and I have two windows above my corner tub. It is a large bathroom and the kids do come in at times and like to play in the big tub.

I do not own a sewing machine, but I could borrow one to do this. I have not found what I have been looking for in the ready made version. I thought if I could add grommets to a ready made luxury towels that I would have an instant look that gave me privacy.

By louise@home from Ontario, Canada

I've not done it, but it sounds really nice! I googled and found these instructions. They offered other links for other ideas/instructions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4760564_make-curtains-towels.html

There are clip on curtain rings available at your local "mart" store which could be used on the towels to make curtains. When you want a change, just unclip and have usable towels. These come in gold, silver and black, and cost about $3 a package. I have used them with towels to make curtains, and currently have them holding green lace tablecloths as curtains in a spare bedroom. (I was unable to find regular curtains the right color green.)

Thanks for the input, I thought of the clip but the type of look that I want and the weight of the I will use may be too heavy for the clips. I like the idea of the velcro thou. I just don't know how easy to gormmets are to install. Now that the kids are back in school and I only have one left at home my load is a little lighter for shopping. I should check out some fabric store.

I have and would NOT recommend it. Towels are made from terry cloth and the grommets just don't cover enough of the fabric around the cut to prevent it from unravelling. I also tried putting an "iron on" patch on the backside then the grommet. But the patch only stuck to the top of the terry loops and then it was too thick for the grommet.

The best way I have had for curtains (I have done this several times) is to just sew a simple straight seam along the top for my curtain rod. You could even do this by hand. Another advantage to this is later you can take out the seam and it becomes a towel.

Also remember they fade from the sun. I have had best luck using white towels for curtains.

I made curtains using towels, for our camper. Instead of using grommets, I went to the hardware store and bought large washers. Sprayed them the color I wanted, and when dry, used fabric glue to attach them, and an awl to make the center hole. I put them on a table, with a heavy weight on them, until dry. This was done 3 years ago, and they still look nice. Go through the washer and dryer with no problems. You can even change the washer color with a small brush, whenever you want an update! Good luck!

I have made bathroom curtains from towels for years. I just get the towels I want and use the cafe clips - they hold great! The nicest part is the towels are not ruined and can be recycled for their original use. Towels too long? Simply fold to right length and clip making a valance.

I went to the fabric store and I found some fabric that I like but they had the wronge colour. It was a chenil cotton terri fabric. very nice texture. She said I could use this no fray stuff to prevent fraying when I put the grommets in. I will go to another fabric store and buy this in white. In Canada we have fabric land. Kind of a walmart for fabric. We do get some nice items there. I could check out some higher end stores. My mom the sewer is coming next week and we will go check some store out. I am all excited to get these done. It looks very simple. I will post photos when I am done.

Crafts SewingAugust 31, 2009
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
🎉
🎄