How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?
By Barbara from Yakim, WA
I am sorry to say but Parvo can live in the soil for up to one year. The usual method for cleaning up the parvo virus is bleach/water. Please call your veterinarian for any instructions. Please do not bring another dog into your yard until you are sure the Parvo Virus has been eliminated. Good luck.
Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.
Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.
The safest thing to do is to get rid of all the sod and soil and redo it. Then use bleach on concrete, wood and tile areas. Even in your cars if you travel with your dog like I do. It may be expensive but if you love your animal like I do this is the only sure way.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
What is the best way to clean your yard of parvo?
Only thing I know of and I was told this by the animal clinic is to spray bleach through out the whole yard, even wash the underside your shoes (because you could have walked through it), but you may want to ask your vet. I'm told there is something else, too. (01/15/2011)
There are oodles of ideas in the ThriftyFun archives. Just scroll down on this page and you will see them all :-) (01/17/2011)
How do you disinfect a yard from parvo?
By Mike from Oklahoma City
Bleach, bleach, and more bleach! Just mix about 1/4 cup bleach to a gallon of water and spray everything. A pump sprayer would be helpful. You can dilute even more for spaying or wiping dark fabrics, but you must clean absolutely everything. (08/28/2010)
I agree with bleach. I used a stronger solution outside in the yard, porch, truck tires, dog house, chainlink kennel. I sprayed my carpet with bleach and water. Test a small area first if you are worried about bleaching the colors. At my door entrances, I saturated a towel with bleach, and coming in or going out feet are wiped. I cleaned crates with bleach also. I have used 3 gallons of bleach in a week. Bleach, bleach, bleach. The bleach did not kill my grass. (12/31/2010)
For those of you that have had the scare of having a dog infected with parvo, Home Depot has an outdoor bleach. I used it to spray my yard when I found out my puppy died of the mold from the pecan tree in my back yard. The bleach should help with the parvo issue as well. I have gotten another dog 6 months after treating and she is fine.
By Ronda from Fort Worth, TX
Could you please give us the name and manufacturer of this product so we can investigate further that it will definitely kill parvo virus and not just mold? Mold and parvo are two completely different issues. It would be a shame if people counted on using the Home Depot product to remove parvo and it hadn't actually removed that nasty virus after all :-( (06/30/2010)
Have you checked to see if it is pet friendly? Is it earth friendly? I was just curious as these things do come up and you don't want to lose another animal because of them.
A puppy I found in the yard turned out to be sick with distemper and suspected of parvo. It never went potty, but did throw up. The yard has had all poop removed, been treated with bleach, tilled, new dirt brought in and resodded. Do you think this rid the yard of the suspected parvo?
By Shammie from TN
Shammie, I really don't know the answer to your question. It sounds like you've done about everything you possibly can. Why not call your vet's office and run this question past them? They could probably give you the best information (or refer you to someone who can).
I hope what you've done is good enough, because you've already done a whole lot! Best of luck. (03/09/2010)
I've heard it takes up to two years for the virus to go away even with bleaching, etc :-( I agree with mrs.story that it would be best to ask a vet or two to be certain. (03/10/2010)