Reupholstering Furniture

I am wanting to re-upholster my sofa and love seat. I need new ones, but I can't afford the ones I like. Does anyone know how to do this?

Also, my boyfriend, is very handy, and can build anything. I thought about building one, since I like the ones with the wooden arms. Does anyone know where to find plans to do either of these projects?

Thanks!
Kelly from Ohio

Have you thought about using slipcovers? they make them in lots of sizes. I bought mine at a discount store for pretty cheap. They are cheaper then reupholstering, and they come in many different colors and designs. Just a thought

You can do a lot of reupholstering with a heavy staple gun....then cover the staples with decorative trim. (Follow the directions for easy sofa/love seat covers and staple to the fram over the existing upholstery.) There are also big ones you can drape/staple that are anchored at the bottom with a big elastic ruffle. I suppose you could look for a valance & some material that matched/coordinated & put elastic on the ruffle and proceed from there...

Carefully take the current upholstery off and use the pieces as patterns to cut the new ones. Use and a staple gun with sharp staples to attach the new fabric. Pull it as tight as you can. Some places may need little folds or pleats, like to go around the arms, so take your time and it can look really nice. My mom and I recovered my couch in one Saturday.

Old furniture often is much better quality than much of the new stuff. If the wooden frame is in good shape, I vote for re-upholstering them.

Thanks for all of the input... I went to the fabric store and got some fabric that looks like leather... I really like the leather sofas.. I touched several fabric samples because I wanted it to feel like leather.. not fake leather..

I bought enough to do a cushion.. so see how I like it. My daughter has allergies.. so I am hoping it will turn out because I think it will help her out..

I don't like slip covers.. I have checked the discount stores, and I just can't find one I like.. also the sofa has a few "soft sink spots" on it... when you sit.. you sink.. so I am hoping to fix that as well.

Thanks again, and please keep on responding!!! I appreciate all of your input!!

:) Kelly

There are free furniture plans online. One site to try is buildeasy.com. Put in a search for free furniture plans and you will have more than enough to choose from. Also the library has many books on woodworking and furniture making.

I have a cahair for reupholstering to give away. Does anyone know how to contact local enthusiasts looking for furniture to practice on?

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingMarch 25, 2007
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Reupholstered Couch
Reupholstering a Couch
🎄