Sea Glass Candle
For about $2 you can go to your local grocery store and buy one of those colored wax, glass-encased Novena candles. Now grab a bunch of sea glass or craft glass along with any beads hanging around from broken jewelry, and go to town creating this gorgeous and versatile gift (if you can bring yourself to give it away!). Once the wax is burned out, turn it into a flower vase. That's two gifts in one! Can't beat that. :)
Approximate Time: 2-3 hours, depending on the intricacy of your design
- plain Novena candle
- sea glass or craft glass pieces
- hot-glue gun
- hot-glue sticks
- wax paper
- painter's masking tape
- pencil or pen
- Warm up glue stick in glue gun.
- Place 1 foot-square of wax paper on your work station.
- Overlap strips of masking tape on wax paper, essentially making one big sticker (about 4x4 inches).
- Draw a heart or other simple shape onto masking tape "sticker".
- Cut out shape and remove wax paper backing.
- Place shape sticker where desired onto glass candle.
- Lay out pieces of glass, flat, onto work station.
- Begin gluing glass pieces, one by one, with hot glue around the edge of the shape, leaving a tiny space between so you can later peel off the sticker.
- Continue until the entire candle is covered in a mosaic-like fashion with glass pieces
- Once that is done, remove the shape sticker, which leaves a space to start gluing your beads onto candle
- Take beads and start filling the shape's space by gluing with hot glue until filled
- Take a picture, especially if you're giving away as a gift, so you can brag about your newest creation to friends and family! Enjoy!
By Brianna from Dutch Harbor, AK
September 22, 20100 found this helpful
To make beach glass shine, like it does when wet, rub it with a q tip dipped in baby oil or glycerin. Rub dry with a paper towel. I find it's better to attach things to candles and other items that come into contact with heat using a strong adhesive like E6000.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 27, 2016 at 5:10:03 AM on 10.0.0.47 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us