Saving Money On Steel Wool

If you are creative, there are ways to save on just about any household cleaning aid. This is a guide about saving money on steel wool.

February 1, 2011 Flag

You know those not-so-wonderful steel wool pads that after a few days become rusted and yucky. Well after each use, add a little liquid soap (if you want to but not required), place it in a small freezer bag, and freeze it. When you take it out to use it, it will be like new and this will make them last for a lot longer. I get 5 to 6 uses out of them before I have to throw it away.

By pambela from Beaverdam, VA

I buy scotch brite "never rust" heavy duty soap pads by 3m. I want to say i picked them up in the dollar store. They last a long, long time. When the soap is gone i put a little dish detergent on the pad. Be very careful what you use them for as they can scratch. For my good pots i clean with baking soda on a sponge and use a little elbow grease. It never ceases to amaze me what uses i can find for the good old baking soda!

This is an awesome tip. Thank you!

July 13, 2005 Flag

I am probably one of the most "thrifty" people I know. My husband calls me cheap - LOL When I need to use a scrubbing steel wool pad, I cut them in half or quarters first.

There is a two-fold reason for doing this. One, it sure cuts down on the amount of steel wool pads I buy. They ALWAYS begin to rust before they are used up. Two, it seems to clean and sharpen my scissors also!

By Sue

If you keep your used steel wool pads in the freezer, you never have to worry about rust. You can wear them down to a nubbin!

I cut them into quarters and halves as well, but if you keep them in a little jar filled with water, the soap in them forms a gel, and they do not rust while in this gel. You can rinse them out after using, and stick em back into the gel, and they weill be ready for you whenever you need them, just grab some of the gel with one when you pull it out, and start scrubbing.

Stretch your steel wool soap pads by tearing off a piece from a pad that accommodates the size needed to scour and then discard after use. There is less waste. Each time you scour, you'll have a new mini scouring pad. And you'll never have to use a scrambled egg ridden pad again.

By C. Klick

After using a pad, I place it in a small, tightly capped jar which I keep with my dishwashing and cleaning supplies. Lasts a long time and easy to locate. Freezer sounds like a good idea, but I'd never find it in my freezer! I've tried keeping water in the jar, but I prefer keeping it dry as it's less messy.

September 8, 2006 Flag

Tips for saving money on SOS pads. Post your ideas.

February 1, 2011 Flag

Really, how often do we use a steel wool pad to clean? But when you need one, you need one. My tip: cut them in half for small jobs. When you are done, forget putting it in the sink to dry, it will rust. Instead, put the steel wool pad in a zip lock bag and freeze it. It will be as good as new when you need it sometime in the future.

By Teresa from Vine Grove, KY

Answers:

Store Steel Wool Pads in Freezer

What an awesome idea. (09/11/2010)

By merlene

Store Steel Wool Pads in Freezer

How did you ever think of this? Great idea that I'm going to use from now on. (01/23/2011)

By fionarx

September 9, 2010 Flag

To get the longest use out of a steel wool soap pad (like Brillo), wrap it in a small piece of aluminum foil and store in freezer after scrubbing your pans. I don't even remember the last time I bought a box of these pads because you can use one right down to the last wire without any rust at all. When the soap runs out, just use your own.

By Cakeluv from Henry, TN

paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Decorating with Area Rugs, Cleaning a Wool Area Rug, Wool area rug on a living room floor.
Cleaning a Wool Area Rug
Knitted Sweaters
Stretching Shrunken Wool Garments
🎄