Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth For Ants

We have 2 cats and small children around and even if we didn't have the cats or the small children, I wouldn't want to use the chemicals and poisons that are in insect repellants, sprays, traps, etc. that are being sold in today's markets.

We use the food grade only diatomaceous earth for everything, and we can sprinkle it all over countertops, floors, furniture, in cabinets and cupboards, closets even if food is right there, and if it gets into the food, that's not a problem as it will not hurt you, your children or your pets. It'll sure make all the bugs disappear including those busy little ants who invade even the tiniest crevice and crack they can find.

Just be sure that it is "food grade" diatomaceous Earth, and nothing else. There is a diatomaceous earth used for swimming pools, and in gardens which kill slugs and snails, and other pesty things that chew all your leaves off everything. That's fine for the garden and pool, you just don't want it in your house at all. If you cannot find the food grade DE at WalMart or your local plant nursery, order it online.

If you want your pets to be free of all parasitic vermin like tape worms, etc, just sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of food grade diatomaceous earth into their food 2-3 times a week. You can put it directly on your pets (being careful not to get it in their eyes, or nose as it's dusty and will choke them if they get too much at one time. Dust it into their fur to help them stay free of fleas and tics.

It's wonderful to use in all farm animal foods as it'll keep them free of the various parasitic little vultures that attack them too.

I will repeat once more: Be sure you buy the food grade variety of diatomaceous earth. It's by far the best and easiest way to take care of all those ants and other things that aggravate us and make us and our animals sick.

Hope this helps.

Source: We've been using this so many years that I have no idea where it came from. If I had to guess, I'd say probably Mother Earth News.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

My daughter told me this and it works. Put down a line of talcom powder across your door and along the wall where the ants are coming in. They hate it and will stop. It always works for me. It is the cheapest thing you can buy and is harmless. Just make sure it is talcom powder, not cornstarch.

We use DE for our chickens (mites and other things) and we get our at the feed stores. Call around some of the feed stores are much cheaper than others.

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 17, 2011
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Buying Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Uses for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth