Uses for Sour Tangerines

I purchased a bag of tangerines that are just awful. They are sour and full of seeds and just not edible at all. Any ideas of what I can do with them besides juicing them? There is so much pith that I don't even think they will juice very well. I really hate to throw them away.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

No real advice, but I'll lament with you. I hate it when that happens (buy a large quantity and it's so disappointing). I read somewhere to salt the fruit to bring out the sweetness. We avoid extra salt, so we haven't tried it.

I would cut them in slices and put them in a bag and freeze them. Then occasionally pull out a slice or two, let it thaw and run it thru your garbage disposal. It helps keep it smelling fresh.

I would juice them and make biscuits with the juice. I have made good biscuits with grapefruit juice. Maybe the tangerine juice with the recipe below would be ok. I use self-rising flour, omit salt.

SERVINGS: Makes about 14 biscuits.

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 tablespoon sugar, plus more for sprinkling

1 teaspoon finely grated pink grapefruit zest

1 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice

Milk, for brushing

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

2. In a small bowl, rub 1 tablespoon of the sugar with the grapefruit zest until the sugar is a deep pink color. Add the grapefruit juice to the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the grapefruit juice into the mixture in the large bowl and stir just until the biscuit dough comes together.

3. Scrape the biscuit dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead 2 or 3 times until smooth. Roll out the dough to a 1/2-inch-thick square. Cut the dough into 2-inch squares or round and transfer to a large baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake the grapefruit biscuits for 15 minutes, or until they have risen and are browned on the bottom. Let the biscuits cool slightly before serving.

Or you can make them ahead of time. The biscuits can be baked early in the day and stored at room temperature. Reheat in a 350° oven before serving.

Let us know how they turn out. Good luck.

I would return them to where you bought them and tell them why! The store probably doesn't know how bad they are and will probably return them to the wholesaler with a complaint. They will give you back your money!

I would take them back to the store and tell the manager.

When life gives you sour tangerines, make marmalade.

Food and Recipes Recipes FruitNovember 11, 2009
Lowfat Sour Cream
Making Lowfat Sour Cream
Bowl of hot and sour soup.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup Recipes
Sweet and Sour Chicken on White Plate
Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipes
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes