Preventing Gnats In The Kitchen!

I was at the grocery store a few days ago and noticed gnats buzzing around the onion bin. I've seen them near bananas, but this sighting was a first. When I did buy onions elsewhere, I made sure to shake them off before putting in the bag, knotting the bag tightly and when home, opening the bag outdoors and giving them another good shake. And as I am doing all of this, am wondering if it is going to make not one whit of difference as bug eggs could be hidden among the many layers of peelings. Is this a no win situation? What do you do to keep the gnat population down?

Cookwie from Richardson, TX

you can put some red wine in a glass with a squirt of liquid dish soap. the gnats will go to it and they will die. you will be amazed at how many you catch. It only takes a small amount of wine (1/4 cup or so)

I pretty much put all of my fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator. This eliminated the gnat problem in my house. I have also used this practice for any kind of dry mix, like corn bread mix, so I don't get those nasty weevils.

Apple cider vinegar works great. Pour some in a container that has a lid, and make sure there are holes in the lid. I used an old yogurt jar, and cut holes it it. The gnats will fly in the holes and get stuck in there. works great

We just tried something new because the gnats are literally taking us off! We put some cooking wine and some dishwashing liquid in a glass and they hovered around it and eventually fell in. Don't know how many we'll capture, but any will beat none! It's working!

Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsJune 7, 2006
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎉
🎄