ColoringHair Tips

Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

I read an old request for taking the yellow color from white hair and one person recommended using peroxide mixed into conditioner. Has anyone tried this and what amount should I use? Thanks.

By Heide

Anonymous

I am an ex hairdresser that used to tell my clients with this same situation to use laundry bluing ( Mrs. Smith's ) dilute to 30% strength1 ounce of bluing to 3 ounces of warm water disolve and add to your favorite shampoo. Shampoo your hair as normal leaving on an extra minute or two then rinse as normal and style, this may take a couple of washings but it will bring the white out and the yellow will be sent on vacation.

Would love to try this on my salt and pepper hair. I love the silver white that is around my face only but it has turned yellow. Would the bluing mixture effect my darker hair in the back. Afraid to try this at the moment

Hello Heide,

Could it be that you are outside a lot? Sun can easily yellow white hair. Certain medications can also yellow your hair and of course being around smokers does the same thing. The blue/violet shampoo will help some, but not always enough because some hair is more porous than other. Do you let it sit on your hair for a few minutes before rinsing it out? If not, try that.

You can neutralize the yellow by means of neutralizer, ask your hairdresser or get yourself some at the drugstore.

If absolutely nothing helps, the only thing left is to dye your hair I'm afraid.

Good luck, Roxanne

Anonymous

Am also a former hairstylist ;-)

It could be medications causing the yellowing. In any event, I don't know if the product is still on the market but call a local beauty supply and ask if they carry Roux Ultra White Minx Color Rinse. You put it on after shampooing and leave it in. It doesn't affect the texture of the hair, it just 'blues' it. You may or may not need to use for every shampoo depending on the amount of yellowing. It smells good, too ;-) Oh, and keep using your violet blue shampoo, too!

The bluing shampoo and rinses turns hair green, remember the color chart? Blue and yellow makes green? I frosted my hair (bleach), then put on a roux toner in my color choice, sand beige. Great color, texture is great also. Hope this helps someone else. pk