Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

I read an old request for taking the yellow color from white hair and one person recommended using peroxide mixed into conditioner. Has anyone tried this and what amount should I use? Thanks.

By Heide

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By patsy07/07/2011

The bluing shampoo and rinses turns hair green, remember the color chart? Blue and yellow makes green? I frosted my hair (bleach), then put on a roux toner in my color choice, sand beige. Great color, texture is great also. Hope this helps someone else. pk

By Anonymous [848]09/14/2009

Am also a former hairstylist ;-)

It could be medications causing the yellowing. In any event, I don't know if the product is still on the market but call a local beauty supply and ask if they carry Roux Ultra White Minx Color Rinse. You put it on after shampooing and leave it in. It doesn't affect the texture of the hair, it just 'blues' it. You may or may not need to use for every shampoo depending on the amount of yellowing. It smells good, too ;-) Oh, and keep using your violet blue shampoo, too!

By RoxanneStMarc [1]09/13/2009

Hello Heide,
Could it be that you are outside a lot? Sun can easily yellow white hair. Certain medications can also yellow your hair and of course being around smokers does the same thing. The blue/violet shampoo will help some, but not always enough because some hair is more porous than other. Do you let it sit on your hair for a few minutes before rinsing it out? If not, try that.
You can neutralize the yellow by means of neutralizer, ask your hairdresser or get yourself some at the drugstore.
If absolutely nothing helps, the only thing left is to dye your hair I'm afraid.
Good luck, Roxanne

09/13/2009

I am an ex hairdresser that used to tell my clients with this same situation to use laundry bluing ( Mrs. Smith's ) dilute to 30% strength1 ounce of bluing to 3 ounces of warm water disolve and add to your favorite shampoo. Shampoo your hair as normal leaving on an extra minute or two then rinse as normal and style, this may take a couple of washings but it will bring the white out and the yellow will be sent on vacation.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

I have complete white hair. I would like to know how can I clean the yellow stains from it. In other words, bleach it without using chemicals, if possible.

Zelda from Sao Paulo, Brazil

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Wow Zelda, good question. Have you ever heard of Sun In? That lightens the hair and has no chemicals.

Next, Loving Care has a very good line of products that might tone the yellow out.

Hope you find something that works for you. (09/10/2006)

By Autumn

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

In the grocery store laundry section you can find Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing. I use it in the rinse cycle after bleaching whites to remove the yellowing from the bleach. On the bottle it gives instructions on bluing white hair.

Good Luck. P.S. Try an older grocery store chain ie Acme, Pathmark, or even K-Mart. (09/10/2006)

By lizmarshall

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Shimmer lights shampoo from your local beauty supply will help without bleaching, or they might recommend something better if it is bad. (09/10/2006)

By cn

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

My great-grandmother had snow white hair, and my grandmother said it was because she used lemon juice to rinse through her hair. It makes sense, as I've heard it is used to lighten dark skin on elbows, etc. Try it for awhile, and let us know how it works. (09/10/2006)

By wendymaree

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Zelda, Matrix makes a shampoo called So Silver, or at your local beauty supply it is shimmer lights. The shampoo is purple and it takes the yellow out of white hair. (09/11/2006)

By Jellybean in La.

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

The yellow is residue left from the shampoo (or water) that you're using. What you want is hair that is Silver! Try using a shampoo for silver hair and soon you'll have the results you want. I see Pantene makes a product for silver hair now. Your hair should sparkle!

Best of luck, I too have the salt and pepper colored hair. It's a natural frosting (smile). (09/13/2006)

By Carol in PA

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

I've tried Shimmering Lights - and other "get the yellow" out products - nothing works. However, I did read yesterday to use peroxide mixed with your conditioner. Guess what? It worked. (08/02/2007)

By vanessa

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Framesi puts out a shampoo called Violights. It's much stronger than Clairol's Shimmer Lights. I'm in the process of bleaching my hair to white and this is removing the brassiness from my old hairdressers work and boosting my blonde up to white. Be cautioned, this stuff is so strong it tints your hands purple. You need to scrub this off your hands afterward, but it will help. (08/09/2007)

By Jax

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Vanessa, how much peroxide did you add to your conditioner to remove the yellow stain from white hair? (11/04/2007)

By Donna

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

Use a purple or blue based shampoo or toner. Honestly I'd hit my local beauty supply and ask the lady at the counter but yeah, products like so silver and ectra will help but purple neutralizes yellow. I make my own toner using a vegi dye from manic panic, but punk color brands like special effects or manic panic have good "white" toners. I recommend special effects if you want a more permanent effect.

5 minutes max on dry hair then rinse out. So comb in, rinse out. If it happens to tinge your hair purple or if any toner or shampoo does, try something like head and shoulders. Most vegi dyes and toners can't hold up vs dandruff shampoo :) Myself I'm a punky girl but I can appreciate the desire to have your hair color pure natural or not. (12/04/2007)

By victoria

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

The 'yellow' is most likely from your water. Hard water with some iron in it will do this. All the bluing and store stuff does is cover over the 'yellow' and eventually give you green highlights.

Use White Blue or Clear shampoo (shampoo colors do stick to white hair). Remove the deposits in your hair with baking soda mixed with your shampoo and rub the hair for a minute or two, then rinse. This can be drying, so I only do once a week. And I use a rinse of 1 TBSP Vinegar to 1 Cup filtered water.

I've tried it all and this works. The bluing shampoos are nice on occasion, but only after you have removed the yellow stain. (01/29/2008)

By CascadeMom

RE: Bleaching Yellow From White Hair

My hair has been white since I was about 30 (3 boys!) and I've always used Jirmack for silver hair with the matching conditioner. About once a week I use another brand to rid my hair of the build-up of used bluing shampoo for 25+ years with no blue hair to show for it, just shiny silver hair. (06/28/2008)

By Glenn'sMom