Alternative Uses for Vinegar

What are some alternative uses for vinegar around the house?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

This should keep you busy :-)

1001 uses for white vinegar:

Prob a lot of duplicates but here are some more:

We use it in place of fabric softener, to clean lime deposits in coffee makers, in small bowls on the counter to take away odors occaisionally. I have tried it as a hair rinse but I can't stand the smell of vinegar. When you use vinegar the smell does go away once something is dry (like hair or laundry) but when it is still wet you can smell it some.

I use it (diluted with water) to clean my counter tops, floors, windows, bathtub, toilet, etc. :-) It's a great disinfectant and saves oodles of money and no more harsh chemicals that hurt human and environmental health, too. ;-) I buy it by the gallon and a gallon lasts for what seems like forever for everything! Check out the price per gallon of it compared to the harmful chemicals. ;-)

Since I live in a dusty old house with three large dogs (one of those is a Mastiff), I put a capful or two of white vinegar in water to damp-dust. It seems to help with the dust and odor, for awhile, at least.

I also add a couple of capfuls to the rinse cycle in every load of laundry. It makes a great fabric softener. I think next time I'll try adding the same to the wash or pre-soak cycle (or both,) as I heard it's a great odor eliminator there as well.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsMay 20, 2010
vinegar and baking soda
Uses for Vinegar
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet