911 Access with Cable TV Phone Service During Power Outages

I'm looking into switching phone service for a relative who is a senior citizen. Currently he has phone service through his local telephone company, but we are looking into switching to phone service through the local cable television company. My concern is his 911 access in the event of a power outage and/or if the cable service goes out temporarily.

He has some health problems, and I want him to be able to dial 911 any time he may need to without a problem. Also, I know 911 operators can locate your address with regular phone company service, but I have heard that is not true with cable company phone service. If he were incapacitated and could not respond with an address to a 911 operator, can his location be identified with phone service through a cable company? Thanks for all replies.

By Truerblue

If the power goes out or his cable is down, he will not be able to have any type of phone access, 911 included. That is why I switched back from cable to a regular land line.

You could always get a pre-paid cell phone for him just for the purpose of emergency and if there is an emergency he can call 911 from that phone and immediately give his address, cell phone number and what the problem is. I would make sure that the cell phone would work in his immediate area without 'roaming' before purchasing.

Hi Truerblue, I just seen on TV there is "Safelink" and it's free! it might be safelink.com, not sure, and i don't remember the number. If i see it again, i will post back. It caught my attention! And would probably be perfect for your situation.

Sandy

I just switched to cable phone service yesterday. The installer said there was a battery backup system available for purchase in the event of a power outage. With the savings I'll get from switching to the cable phone service, I might just invest in the battery backup. I'll post again after I get a chance to look into it!

Cable telephone providers usually (always?) provide a mechanism for getting your address to the 911 operator.

It usually involves entering your address on your online account page. It needs to be updated manually if you move to a different location; but, that doesn't sound like it would be an issue in your friend's case.

Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 13, 2009
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎄