Keeping Mosquitoes Away

Other than a citronella plant what can be used to keep mosquitoes away from humans and pets while sitting outside?

By Colfax from TX

We put a bug zapper at the back of our yard. It has a holder for mosquito lure (it's called Nosquito). It seems to help a lot. Normally, once mosquito season gets rolling, I can't go out in the evening without getting eaten up, but it has been much better since we started using the zapper with the lure. If you go that route, pick the location carefully; you don't want to place it so that you're in the path of the mosquitoes while they're on their way to the lure!

Encourage bats. They are really wonderful. Bat houses available sometimes from fish and wildlife. Rid yard of standing water. That includes rain gutters. I have a natural spring that makes a small pool. I have goldfish to eat the larvae. Guppies would freeze in the winter and besides they are not good should they enter the wild river somehow. They would eat the eggs of spawning fish because they will eat anything they can. Goldfish do beautifully.

I read a post recently that if you spray Listerine around your area it will keep them away. I have not tried it, but thought I would if I am bothered by mosquitoes

Mosquito on someone's skin.
Repelling Mosquitoes
Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesMay 19, 2011
Citronella bucket candle
Using Citronella to Repel Mosquitoes
Dog in Grass
Insect Repellents Safe for Use Around Pets
backyard pond
Keeping Mosquitoes Out of a Pond
Mosquito Ready to Bite
Controlling Mosquitoes