DishesCleaning

Burnt Rice in a Pan

Category Dishes

My daughter burned rice in my saucepan. I can't even scrape it off with a spatula or spoon. Is there anything I can soak it in to remove the black burnt stuff?

Pat from Uxbridge, MA

I would try soaking it in dishwasher powder. Buy it at the dollarstore, for soaking, the off brand 's work just as well as the name brands.

I keep a box under my sink "just in case"

Fill it with some water and add a squirt of dish soap and bring it to a simmer. Let it "cook" a while (covered if you can). After a few minutes, the gunk should float to the top, making it easy to scrape it out. This also works with burnt on stuff in a crockpot (fill with water, add dish soap and "cook" overnight).

Put the dishwasher powder detergent in the pan, covering the bottom with about 1/4 inch. Add about 1 inch of water, enough to make a thick solution.

Then simmer on the stove, watching carefully, for about 1/2 hour. Stir as it simmers, and the burnt stuff will gradually loosen. Add water if needed.

All of the soaking and boiling ideas are good... remember that water is the universal solvent and time is its friend. If the pan is stainless on the inside you can also use oven cleaner but protect your lungs.

This works for me every time, and it uses no harsh chemicals. Pour a little water in the bottom of the pan, just enough to barely cover the bottom. Then liberally sprinkle baking soda over the entire area, and on the sides if the rice is on there too. Let this set for several hours or overnight. If it dries out, you can moisten it, but it is not really necessary. Then just wipe out the baking soda, and the burned on rice will wipe off too. Also, salt will do the trick too...If the pan is aluminum, you may not want to go the baking soda route, since it will discolor the pan.

If the burn is really severe, it may take a lot of time soaking and scrubbing layer after layer off, but it will lift off and you should be able to salvage the pan.

I always soak burnt-on food with dishwasher powder and water, sometimes over nite. If some but not all the junk comes up, just do it again.

When I burn something in a pan . I take a little fabric softner . put it in the pan or dish with enough water to cover it . let it soak over night . i n the morning the burnt on stuff will just come right off . Then just wash really good in hot sudsy water to remove the softner . works every time . good luck

I did the same thing a few days ago, and powdered dishdetergent isnt working. im going to try the fabric softener, but I may just throw away the pan. It was pretty cheap anyway.

heat it up with a little water. Once it has boiled sprinkle on a liberal amount of baking soda. Let sit overnight.

If it is a porcelain pan, the porcelain itself might by be burned and you're best to discard. Aluminum can be brought back to a shine by boiling rhubarb leaves in water. Just don't eat the leaves. Ever.