Beef Teriyaki

This is one of those meals that you can literally walk in the door at night, put on the skillet, and start cooking if you're thought ahead and already cut the meat into strips. While the meat browns, cut up the pepper and onions (if you've not done that too). You can have this meal on the table in 1/2 hour and it's a good, nutritious dinner. Serve with a nice tossed salad and a crusty loaf of good bread.

• 1 lb. beef chuck strips
  • 1 large onion, cut into strips
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 cup red bell pepper strips * see note
  • 2 cups beef bouillon (liquid)
  • 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. sherry (optional)*
  • 1 1/2 cups Minute Rice

Directions:

Brown beef, onion, and garlic in oil. Add ginger, pepper strips, bouillon, soy sauce, and sherry. Bring to a boil.

Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5-6 minutes. Stir before serving.

Julia's Note* We don't get along very well with the green bell peppers, so we buy the green Cubanellas which are great substitutes. If you can find them, by all means, use a combo of them and the red bells. If you can tolerate the green bells, then use a combo of those and the reds orange or yellow bell peppers. The colors of all provide pretty contrasts.

I have on occasion used a large (29 oz.) can of mixed Oriental vegetables in place of the onions and peppers, and they were great. Drain them, and add a slurry of (2 Tbsp.) cornstarch and (1/3 cup) water if you want sauce. Stir it in and allow to cook for a few minutes to take out the raw taste of the cornstarch before adding the rice.

If you don't have beef strips on hand, but have a pound of nice lean ground beef, by all means, substitute it. It'll turn out great anyway.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes

Source: My oldest daughter found it on the back of a Minute Rice box in the 70's.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Mmm, I love teriyaki, and this recipe sounds so easy! Thanks, and thank your daughter for finding it in the first place.

Yummy. Another mouth watering recipe. Do you have on for Pepper steak?

Thanks again.

Keeper

Oh my gosh! When you said your daughter got it off the back of the Minute Rice box in the 70s, I could actually see that in my mind! I remember making this recipe, but I lost it years ago. It was so good & simple, & like you I also added a can of the chinese vegetables to stretch it more. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait to try it again & see if I can get my teenage boys to make it!

I like that ground beef can be substituted, makes it sort of a skillet casserole. I have lots of ground beef in the freezer and red & orange bell peppers in the fridge, so I will try this out tonight. I love finding recipes where I don't have to go to the market for a thing! : )

I love teriyaki too. This is a really good recipe on a few different levels, yummy, easy, colorful, and frugal, too. Add some rice or noodles, and you have a great meal. Thank you for posting it!

I often times have ground deer meat which doesn't always work out so well in dishes where you need some "fat". This recipe will work just great and my children and husband will love it too. It is a nice addition to my growing collection of your recipes Pookarina. Thank you so much.

HokeyPoke

Beef Teriyaki
Beef Teriyaki Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International JapaneseJune 20, 2011
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Teriyaki Chicken Wings Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
canning beef
Canning Beef
Canned Corned Beef
Recipes Using Canned Corned Beef
🎄