Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Suede Jacket

Where can I find cheap cleaning items for leather and suede jackets? I need to remove stinky smells and stubborn dirt and dust on my suede jacket?

By ninotchka from Manila, Philippines

Here are questions related to Cleaning a Suede Jacket.

Question: Cleaning a Suede Jacket at Home

Is there a home method for cleaning a suede jacket?

By Lee

Most Recent Answer

By jean leiner02/24/2012

You can try these ideas. 1. rub the jacket all over with a clean dry bath towel to loosen dirt and dust, then shake. 2. If there are stains, try rubbing them with a pencil eraser, then shake or brush to remove eraser crumbs. If there are stains that are oily/greasy in origin (eraser did not work), put baby powder on the spot(s) and let sit overnight. This helps with that ring around the collar the jacket may have. Brush to remove powder and repeat if needed. You can buy a suede brush, or use any clean stiff bristled(not wire or plastic) brush. I use an old bath brush. You can also try rubbing stains with white vinegar by dampening a clean rag with vinegar and rubbing the stain with it. Before you do this, test the vinegar rag on a part of the coat that won't show in case it removes color or other wise shows on the suede.

3. Brush entire jacket to raise the nap of the suede. 4. If the jacket is not dirty.stained but needs freshening up, tumble in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet for 1/2 hour on the lowest heat or air dry setting. Hope these suggestions help.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

I would like ideas on how to clean suede jackets.

Julia from Seattle

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

I would take my leathers or suede to a reputed dry cleaner and let them deal with it. It's not cheap but if you keep your garment in good condition, you can get away with dry cleaning it once every two years. Do not smoke in your leather/suede coats. Smoke damage is one of the hardest things to remove. Don't wear it to the bar if you can help it. Do not use stain treatment, water, soap or Febreeze on your leathers. It could possibly stain or ruin the fabric. It could also make the dye run or change the color of the spot you used it on. Keep your jacket in a closet, preferably in a zipped-up garment bag that will keep off dust, hair, children (ha ha), light and moisture. This will help keep your garment preserved during the months you don't wear it. Hope these tips help you out. (12/02/2005)

By omeggan

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

Unfortunately, I left my favorite suede jacket in the car and noticed there is now fading from the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to fix this? ie: re-dying it? THANKS! (05/12/2007)

By nadine

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

My suede jacket had scotch tape on it. Once it was removed the mark of the tape remained. The jacket is new and does not need cleaning at this point. What would you suggest doing so as to remove these marks? Thank you. (08/10/2007)

By Frances

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

My jacket was splashed with hot candle wax, how can I remove the wax? (10/03/2007)

By thomas

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

I got this jacket from my dad as a gift, and after a while, by accident I got some pen marks on it. And there is something dirty around the end of the hand part of the jacket. What should I do? (03/16/2008)

By Summer

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

I have tried the dry cleaning specialists more than once and they never get the jacket close to being clean. They can't even get the elbows clean. $50 for nothing! (10/31/2008)

By Christine

Archive: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to clean a suede jacket. I would rather not take it to a dry cleaner.

Joey from Cleveland, OH

RE: Cleaning a Suede Jacket

For those of you who have tried these methods with little or no resolve, I say look at suede from another angle. While most leather items thirst for moisture, suede begs to be parched. This is why the better results occur using cleansers such as cornstarch as opposed to detergent and water.

While mild detergents help lift the initial stain, the final result will most likely leave you with a spot larger than the one you started with. Patience and a dry environment seem to be the key, as well as a good, clean nylon brush. I recently bought a used suede couch that had doggie drool stains across two sectional pieces. I gave it a vigorous brushing and the stain came out. A lack of humidity is definitely key, probably why cornstarch seems to work for some. Don't fret if you've used a wet method. My suggestion is, buy a cheap nylon brush at the grocery store. Suede wants its pile to be raised. (02/19/2009)