Keeping Puppy Out Of Car

We have a 5 month old female beagle puppy (outdoor only) who thinks it is her duty and right to get into our cars every time we open the door. Any ideas how to break her of this? We have tried loud noises, telling her NO, removing her and scolding her, misting with water, even using pet repellent. My car is fairly new and I am afraid she will damage it by her chewing or with her claws.

April from NW Missouri

Poor puppy - it only wants to be a part of the family - perhaps you could get one of those seat protectors and let her come for a ride now and then

Poor puppy. It gets COLD in the winter with snow & ice out here in Missouri last winter I had 3 feet of snow up against my sliding glass porch doors. I would have never seen my dogs outside. I would worry more about a puppy than an new car. Poor poor cold puppy it just wants to hang out with you.

This is still a very young dog. You need to train her properly. If you can not keep her out of the vehicle, you are likely going to have other problems. I would recommend obedience training for you both so you know how to get her to behave.

I would recommend getting her used to riding in the car, though, as it will make trips to the vet much less stressful. And, I think it is important to have trips that do not involve going the vet, so that your dog learns to like riding in a vehicle and not fear it. She is obviously not afraid of it now.

I agree that she is likely wanting to go with you in the car. Perhaps she needs more attention as well as more training.

There is a program on "animal planet" on cable tv. It's called "it's me or the dog". The trainer is really good. Try watching it or go online to animal planet & you might find info on her.

Do you have a kennel for her? One of those airline shippers is a great place for her to be safe and happy inside when not on your lap. She is an indoor breed and so very people-associated that she will die of a broken heart outside. You will hear a lot of that famous beagle voice if you boot her out. Just toss a treat into the kennel while saying "In you go" and she'll run right in there. When the door is shut, give her another treat from the side vents and soon she'll dive in there and wait for the side treat.

Yes, your dog breed IS an indoor. Here in MN we (the Humane Society) get many reports that are handled by the police of wrong breeds being left outdoors for any length of time.

OK, your question. The portable kennel and then into the car is good. I have an indoor german shorthair who IF I could get her in the car (she does not like to ride) I throw old sheets over the seat she will be in. AND I use the seat belt to hold her leash so you could choose a short leash or use a car harness for dogs. My vet is at the end of my block, so very seldom do we need to travel with her. The few times she has, she lays on the car floor and cries.

I am concerned that you have an outdoor only dog that is loose. First, maybe you should consider finding your puppy a different home.

Second, if you must keep the puppy, train it. Teach the puppy to sit when it comes to you and on command. It cannot sit AND jump in the car. This works for many unwanted behaviors. Teach an opposite behavior.

Again, I would look for another home. If your dog is running loose it will get hurt, it may hurt others. Note: I live on a farm with two dogs and would NEVER leave them loose. I am the adult and must care for them as they cannot care for themselves.

If she is an indoor breed, then why are they the number one dog used for coon and rabbit hunting??? That is what she is for--The momma and others pups don't try to get in the car, only her.

She has a warm spot for the winter-the dogs have their own heated place in the barn.

We live on 180 acre farm. We keep the beagles to protect our poultry and garden from rabbits, racoons squirrels and such.

Sorry I asked, you all make it sound like I am abusing her which we are not.

All medium and larger breeds do fine outdoors, even in the worst winter, as long as they have adequate shelter. In farm country in the midwest, an indoor dog is sort of rare.

As far as keeping the dog out of the car - she is still plenty young to learn. Combine a spray bottle with loud negative commands and advance toward her. Then when she backs away from the car, wait a short time and praise and treat her for staying away with the door open. Just do this every single day for a week or so, she should learn.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 9, 2008
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
🎄
🍂