Use a Well Organized List When Grocery Shopping

contest winner icon

When shopping for groceries and household supplies, having a well organized list is one of the best money savers (and time savers) that we've tried. I've developed my own shopping list and included prices of items, so that I know when a sale item found is REALLY a good deal. It's very surprising how great a difference in prices items are from month to month, too.

I've organized my own list for shopping at Walmart, so mine starts with pharmacy area items like vitamins that we buy on a monthly basis, then goes to canned and dry goods, then I make a sweep back to frozen and refrigerated goods so they'll be at their coldest for the trip home. We usually shop for our main groceries only once a month, then shop only for a few items weekly at other stores and mainly just stock up on their great weekly sale items.

Since my main list is mostly for items we cook a lot, it wouldn't be right for most people, but I found a web site called that has several versions of a list most people could use and update to suit themselves. Just scroll down the page a little and you'll see the different versions and can print your own, or at least use it as an idea on how to make your own list to save and print out each month or each week. It's helped us so very much, and we've been able to save enough this way to stock up on various items to have when it's really needed.

For example, one month our water heater had to be replaced, and used up our whole monthly grocery budget plus some on buying a new one, but we had plenty of food to get us through that month so we could pay for the water heater front and not owe. If you've not tried it, try it for just two or three months and you'll probably never go back to big weekly shopping trips. It stopped us from losing so much money on impulse items, and now we actually have more money in the budget for when we need it.

Source: I thought up my own main list myself when I was in chemo and only felt like shopping maybe once a month, and really needed to watch out for prices, but the website I've given was suggested in a newsletter by S.C.Johnson, I think.

By Mary from Mtn. Pine, AR

Thanks for the master grocery list website. It's great and lists just about everything I usually buy. It will be a great timesaver rather than writing out a list all the time and forgetting half of what I need.

I have another idea that might also work.

I read about in Reader's Digest, and used to visit fairly often. It's free to join and use, and would be easy for most people to navigate. When you first visit and/or join, just type in your Zip code. The site then presents you with the list of groceries in your general area, and you can choose the ones where you prefer to shop.

You can sign up for their weekly email and receive your favorite stores' weekly specials, and the site also has the capability to put together your list and print it. Their "Starter List" feature was really great.

I would've kept up with it, but it was a little difficult to use with my adaptive program for the visually impaired. Besides, hubby never wanted to shop anywhere but his chosen store, and trying to get him out of his rut was too much effort.

I would be lost without my master grocery list. It's a list of everything I keep on hand and I use it to check my inventory and make my shopping list.

Our grocery store recently remodeled and I asked if they had a brochure that told where everything is placed. Sure enough, they did and it's called an Aisle Directory. Now I'm going to redo my master list and set it up according to the aisles in the grocery store. With my list in order, I can fill my cart with groceries and be out of the store in a jiffy.

I made my own master shopping list using the Excel computer program. I put everything in order by Isle number from Walmart where I shop. When I'm getting ready to shop I use my list to check what I have on hand, and then use a highlighter to mark what I need to buy. To save even more money, I "price comp" items at Walmart. Walmart will match sale prices from local store ads. I can usually save $20 - $25 each trip doing this. Just be sure to have the ad with you as the cashier will often ask to see the ad for proof of the sale price.

Putrting down the prices you normally pay beforehand when going shopping is a great idea! Thank you.

A paper bag of groceries.
Saving Money on Groceries
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingJanuary 21, 2009
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Woman receiving change at the grocery store
Advice for Stretching Your Grocery Budget
Grocery List
Creating A Grocery List
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List