Check For Free Services at Banks

In my frugal life, I cut all corners that I can. I would like to share this with those people who are unaware that if you have a checking account, the bank where you do business will: make copies, fax papers, notarize papers, and make your money orders - all for FREE! I use to work at a bank, so I know this.

By Missy from OH

And I can confirm. I use my bank for faxes and copies all the time.

Suntydt...Good for you! Every little bit of savings helps & adds up!

Also, the bank doesn't always advertise their best checking deals. I now have free checking, free checks supplied, plus get .05 for every debit card purchase and automatic deposit. I had to ask for this after a cashier at Home Depot told me that was her deal after I complained that my bank charged for debits and I had to always use my card like a credit card. It pays to be talkative! (PS my bank is First Merit in case you're interested).

That sounds great, but I need to migrate to your country, here (Australia), the banks gouge as much in the way of fees etc. out of us as possible.

My bank does all of this except they do charge for money orders. (Bank of America)

Hmm... I never thought to ask, but I'd heard financial institutions do all these things. We don't bank, though, we use Wright-Patt Credit Union. Free checking, one box of free (plain) checks per year, reasonable rates on loans plus, because I have both checking and savings, and direct deposit, my savings earns 7% APY. Sharron, if there are credit unions in Australia, I highly recommend them!

I think this may be being phased out. I need something notarized once a year, and this last time they informed me that the service is no longer free. This is despite having the "50+" account for older folks, which does have a few perks left.

Ouch Sharron. Come on over. ;)

Well, you shop around for good deals at stores. Why not at a Bank? Call the local Banks locally to you & ask them what they have to offer you! My Bank also offers free Travelers checks!

To mbnorton, that's very good advice! It does pay to inquire! Most will offer something to reward you as being their customer!

I worked in banking for 20 years. Regions now charges I think $5 for faxes. I am in the process of changing to ING, no overdraft fees with them, if you overdraw your account for like $100 for 10 days its 20 cents or less. They go by prime. Look them up and read. Only thing is they are checkless and you can only use debit card. I will keep acarefully maintained Regions account and never pay their exorbitant od fees again.

My Bank is Huntington, It's all free services, check out your local banks!

Paper coin rolls are free at the bank, roll up your coins, CoinStar Machines cost you 8-20% of your piggy bank coins!

Bank Column
Saving Money on Banking
Better Living Frugal Living TipsNovember 10, 2010
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
bank in shape of girl with pig tails
Creative Piggy Bank Ideas
Writing a check
Saving Money on Checks
Woman Speaking with Credit Union Teller
Using Credit Unions
🎉
🎄