Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Other Uses for a Rice Cooker

I am looking for other uses for rice cooker.

Daphne from Aust.

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Rudy05/26/2010

Another use for rice cooker is to buy a box of scalloped potatoes (dehydrated potatoes and powdered sauce. Mix ingredients, water milk, margarine, potato mix and topping mix and cook. Mine turned out fine. Enjoy, Rudy

By Alexandra McKeever (Guest Post)12/20/2007

I steamed diced potatoes in my rice cooker tonight. They were delicious. I put water in the bottom insert, placed the steamer on it with the potatoes in the steamer and covered.

By Daphne from Aust (Guest Post)01/12/2007

great ideas
used it the other nite when I had guests as a soup heater
thankyou all for great thinking

By Connie (Guest Post)01/12/2007

If you have the steamer basket, it works GREAT for steaming shrimp or crab legs! We buy seafood when it is on sale and put it in the rice steamer basket and sprinkle with seafood seasoning (Old Bay). Steam for 10 minutes or so!

It's GREAT!

By Michawn [16]01/11/2007

Most regular sized rice cookers also come with a steam basket or two. I steam vegies when I need a lot, works like a charm! I too have also used it to keep soup warm. Crock pots are great but they are heavy, rice cookers are much lighter, work like a charm also!

By (Guest Post)01/11/2007

Doggy

Keep gravy, soup, stews and barbeque gently warm. You can unplug it, set it right on the table with a deep serving spoon. Use to warm beans, canned veggies if you are short on stove space. It doesn't damage nutrients like the microwave does.

By Jay [1]01/11/2007

You can cook frozen veetables that come out nice and steamed like chineese restaurants just add a 1/2 cup (4 oz) hot water, stir and add oyster sauce to taste after about 10 min. let cook till done.

I also cooked my fried rice right in the cooker too.
Wait till rice is about half done ( water is boiling) then add asian soy sauce (Pad Thai PASTE also works) and 1-2 eggs hole and mix together and let finish cooking. I like mine hot so I add fresh red hot peppers during cooking.
Any thing else you like to add also works at the halfway done point. shrimp, mushrooms, baby bamboo, veges, pre cooked chicken etc.

RE: Other Uses for a Rice Cooker

By Jay [1]01/11/2007

You can cook frozen vegetables that come out nice and steamed like chineese restaurants just add vegetablesand a 1/2 cup (4 oz) hot water, stir and add oyster sauce to taste after about 10 min. let cook till done.

Wait till rice is about half done ( water is boiling) then add asian soy sauce (Pad Thai PASTE also works) and 1-2 eggs hole and mix together and let finish cooking. I like mine hot so I add fresh red asian peppers during cooking.

RE: Other Uses for a Rice Cooker

By (Guest Post)01/11/2007

a good way to make 5 bucks at a garage sale!

By Denise [5]01/10/2007

You can put some water (maybe about 1/2 inch?) in the bottom and put cut up potatoes or sweet potatoes in and cook them

Cantate in Japan