Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Repairing Scratched Corian Countertops

Repairing Scratched Corian Countertops

I need to remove scratches on my Corian countertop.

By Tony

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Bryan06/04/2008

The best thing to do is to live with the scratches until they are just driving you crazy. Then have a professional refinish the tops for you. As a homewoner and not a fabricator, almost anything that you do to your countertop yourself will just make it worse. Sanding by hand is a horrible idea. You should only sand with a sander and then you need to have the technique down or you will still make it worse.

By SSC Fabricator (Guest Post)10/04/2007

It's simple to repair scratches in the counter tops, just sand lightly with a 100, then 180, then 280 grit paper and your all done. It's what we use when we make them. We don't use more then 3-4 different gritts. SO GET IT RIGHT! Solid Surface Craftsman Scotia, NY #1 in the business!

By Deanj05/11/2007

Corian is made by Dupont. Here is a page I got from Google.The scotch brite pad is made by 3M Co. and is sold in grocery stores and I have seen then at Home Depot in the cleaning section.

Removing Stains and Fixing Scratches or Burns

Nicks, scratches and cuts are inevitable with any high-use product, including Corian®. But because Corian® is solid all the way through, it is easy to renew to its original appearance as described below.

Minor damage, including scratches, general or chemical stains, scorches or burns, and minor impact marks, can be repaired on-site with a light abrasive cleanser and a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad. For heavier damage, light sanding may be necessary. The following steps should be followed:

Identify the extent of the damage and ascertain whether a minor repair will solve the problem. You may want to consult with your supplier of Corian®.

If the damage is minor, try to repair it with an abrasive cleanser or a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad.

If the above step is unsuccessful, hand-sand with 400-grit wet and dry paper. To minimize dust, wet the surface before starting.

If this is unsuccessful, use an electric sander and heavier-grit paper. Always make provisions to control dust.

If this, too, is unsuccessful, you may need to consult a professional for other repair options. In this case, contact your supplier of Corian® for assistance.

*Scotch-Brite is a trademark of the 3M Company.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing Scratched Corian Countertops

My Corian counter tops are looking a little scratched up. I know there is a way to bring them back to it top shape, can someone tell me?

Jean from Banning, CA

RE: Repairing Scratched Corian Countertops

Corian is made by Dupont. Here is a page I got from Google.The Scotch Brite pad is made by 3M Co. and is sold in grocery stores and I have seen then at Home Depot in the cleaning section.

Nicks, scratches, and cuts are inevitable with any high-use product, including Corian®. But because Corian® is solid all the way through, it is easy to renew to its original appearance as described below.

• Identify the extent of the damage and ascertain whether a minor repair will solve the problem. You may want to consult with your supplier of Corian®.
  • If the damage is minor, try to repair it with an abrasive cleanser or a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad.
  • If the above step is unsuccessful, hand-sand with 400-grit wet and dry paper. To minimize dust, wet the surface before starting.
  • If this is unsuccessful, use an electric sander and heavier-grit paper. Always make provisions to control dust.
  • If this, too, is unsuccessful, you may need to consult a professional for other repair options. In this case, contact your supplier of Corian® for assistance.

*Scotch-Brite is a trademark of the 3M Company. (05/11/2007)

By foxrun41

I had a severe burn from an electric stove element in a Corian cutting board on it's back side. The front had been used as a cutting board 2 times daily for eight years, therefore, it was severely scratched. As proof of concept, I took 50 grit sandpaper on a half-sheet sander and removed "all" of the burn and "all" of the scratches. I then went up quickly using 60, 120, 180, 220, 400, and 800 grits of sandpaper. It is thinner, but looks better than new. Don't believe what you hear about quartz counter tops. They are scratchable with a knife and will stain with a variety of inks, dyes, and permanent marker stains will ruin them.

I put Sharpie marks of various colors on samples of Corian and Silestone. A light rub with a Scotch Brite pad removed them from the Corian, but the Silestone was ruined. If you don't think this is a real world test, remember that all the plastic bags your fruits and veggies come in have inks and dyes on them and when they get "wet" on the counter and left, they stain! Even bringing in the morning paper in its protective baggy on a rainy day and tossing it on the counter will do the same. The newsprint itself will do this. If you don't believe me go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get yourself some samples and try it out! (06/28/2007)

By Tim

Foxrun 14 gave the perfect answer for fixing scratches and other things on the surface of Corian countertops, but you could prevent problems in the first place if you get used to using clear plastic placemats on the areas of your countertops that get the most use. Just putting your coffee cup down on any surface in the same spot over and over will eventually make some kind of mark. A placemat, clear or colored to match the season or surface will prevent that kind of problem. (08/12/2007)

By Jois

The best thing to do is to live with the scratches until they are just driving you crazy. Then have a professional refinish the tops for you. As a homeowner and not a fabricator, almost anything that you do to your countertop yourself will just make it worse. Sanding by hand is a horrible idea. You should only sand with a sander and then you need to have the technique down or you will still make it worse.

Here is a good article with photos on the subject. This is a two part article so just follow the link to the first part

http://cssrblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/solid-surface-countertops-how-not-to_29.html

I hope this helps. (06/04/2008)

By banjo3