Save Power When Boiling Eggs

Save electricity bills when boiling eggs by putting the eggs in cold water, bring to the boil, then immediately turn off the heat and leave the eggs in the hot water for the length of time you like. They go on cooking.

By Lucy L. from England

I have tried this several times, but it resulted in green yolks. Is there something else I should be doing to prevent green yolks?

For Mom from Missouri~

Green yolks are caused by cooking to long. Cooking times depends on how many eggs you are cooking and size of pot/how much water/heat. Also I take the pot of eggs to the sink dump out the hot water ( save to water plants)and fill it with cold running water for a minute.Then dump that water( use to water plants ) and fill again to cool eggs faster. Great Granny Vi

I have never had green yolks. Could this be to do with the fact that I only use free-range eggs?

I've been dong this for years. I usually begin with everything cold, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover and let them sit for about 20 min. You can get a little gadget in the stores that looks like an egg shape and will turn dark when the eggs are done. I have used it with the power save method and it works. No over or under cooked eggs. Yum!

Hardboiled Eggs
Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsMarch 5, 2010
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out