Saving Money on Flowers

One of the best tips I can give a young homemaker is to always save money for flowers. If you don't have a garden and live in an apartment, they can get pretty dreary.

When you buy your groceries at the store, most of the chain stores anyway, will have a flower department. I always buy a handful of fresh flowers. They usually put them in small bunches for around three dollars. It is money well spent.

You will enjoy them all week. Next week you can replace them. That way you will always have pretty flowers. We need food for the soul, too.

By eveh from Gulf Coast

I couldn't agree more!

My husband, who doesn't go out anymore due to health issues, insists that I get fresh flowers. I think he enjoys it as much as I do and it's his way of giving me a gift (even if I get them). For anyone who is creative, get a nice lined basket or big bowl, some of the fresh flower foam and create your own "florist style" arrangements. You can buy some filler material at the grocery store which will last for weeks and then just buy a couple flowers to fill in as they die off.

I have heard that you can also call funeral homes and ask if they have any flowers left over from funerals, and ask if you can have some. I haven't tried this because I don't have a way to go and pick them up, if this would be possible. It might be worth a try for people that would have a way to pick them up.

As far as buying flowers at a grocery store, I only shop at WalMart because I have to take public transportation and they are the closest store to me. They used to have a really nice floral section, but now they just have a small rack of flowers and they start at $5.00, Akk if the grocery stores here have their own floral arrangers in an actual florist department and I have never noticed if they have bundles of flowers already done up. However, it has been three years since I have been to a regular grocery store.