Saving Money on Flowers

One of the best tips I can give a young homemaker is to always save money for flowers. If you don't have a garden and live in an apartment, they can get pretty dreary.

When you buy your groceries at the store, most of the chain stores anyway, will have a flower department. I always buy a handful of fresh flowers. They usually put them in small bunches for around three dollars. It is money well spent.

You will enjoy them all week. Next week you can replace them. That way you will always have pretty flowers. We need food for the soul, too.

By eveh from Gulf Coast

I couldn't agree more!

My husband, who doesn't go out anymore due to health issues, insists that I get fresh flowers. I think he enjoys it as much as I do and it's his way of giving me a gift (even if I get them). For anyone who is creative, get a nice lined basket or big bowl, some of the fresh flower foam and create your own "florist style" arrangements. You can buy some filler material at the grocery store which will last for weeks and then just buy a couple flowers to fill in as they die off.

I have heard that you can also call funeral homes and ask if they have any flowers left over from funerals, and ask if you can have some. I haven't tried this because I don't have a way to go and pick them up, if this would be possible. It might be worth a try for people that would have a way to pick them up.

As far as buying flowers at a grocery store, I only shop at WalMart because I have to take public transportation and they are the closest store to me. They used to have a really nice floral section, but now they just have a small rack of flowers and they start at $5.00, Akk if the grocery stores here have their own floral arrangers in an actual florist department and I have never noticed if they have bundles of flowers already done up. However, it has been three years since I have been to a regular grocery store.

September 14, 2009 Flag

You can save a lot on flowers by using your head. Flowers of the SEASON are going to be your best buy. Even better, if you have any kind of flower or farmer's market around. Get as close to the grower as you can, and avoid florist's surcharges. And don't forget that BEDDING plants with blooms can be charming in containers as table decorations, and have the advantage of being able to be PLANTED elsewhere after the wedding is OVER. (Ditto larger blooming plants, like big containers of lilies.)

By pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

Tips for saving money on flowers. Post your ideas below.

Answers:

An Abundance of Flowers

When Spring is approaching and I don't have much money to buy flowers to set out, I usually buy 2 or 3 small packs and take some clippings and root my own. Then you can have an abundance of flowers blooming all summer. Also I make my own hanging baskets.

By Cynthia (04/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Flowers

I start my own flowers from seed. I select easy to sprout, hardy plants for my area. I live in Michigan so the summer temperatures start out in the 70s, but soon gets to 80F and higher. Here are my choices and why I use them.

4 o'clock: easy to grow, large seeds, can sow outside when all snow is gone. Bring taproot indoors to grow next spring, just make sure it doesn't freeze in the winter. Put root outside when all snow is gone and ground is thawed. It will grow when the weather is right.

Sunflower: all types. Easy to grow. Really shoots up when weather hits 80F. Sturdy stems grow tall, some grow 7-8 feet high.

Spiderwort: this plant is native to Michigan but some varieties have been domesticated so it is used to hot summers and cold winters. Pretty blue flowers in clusters. Looks just like grass with slightly thicker leaves, so don't mow it over. It will survive being mowed down, mine did.

Daylily: never did these from seed so best to buy your's as plants or trade with a neighbor. After 2 years (sometimes 1 year) they become established and grow fast during the hot weather. Divide every 2 years or they will spread. They continuously reproduce so you will have new plants every other year. Many flower colors to choose from. Or get a wild one from a roadside ditch.

Iris. Many colors to choose from. Try to barter with a neighbor. Very hardy, but make sure soil is well drained. Beware of borer grubs which sometimes attack the roots.

But I like perennials because you plant them once and they come back every year. Make sure the perennial you buy will survive your winter (or your summer).

(12/28/2005)

By bulrush

Saving Money on Flowers

You can save money on flowers by using silk flowers in arrangements with real greenery. The greenery will give the flowers an aura of authenticity. (06/09/2006)

By SusannL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman arranging yellow flowers in a vase.
Saving Money on Flowers
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
🎉
🎄