Making Children's Pants Last

I suppose I am the "frugalist" gramma ever and my daughter-in-law is the "frugalist" mommy. When my granddaughter was a crawl around baby, I made her a pair of denim pants with elastic in the waist - no decoration, just little denim pants. I made a deep hem and turned up a cuff to let down as she grew taller.

As she grew, her mom let the cuff down. Then when she was a toddler, I took them home and let the hem out and put red rick rack on the fade line from the hem. Instead of hemming them again I stitched some white cotton ruffle on the bottom. I saw my granddaughter wearing them in the back yard when she was six.

Now for the funny part: my daughter-in-law took a bunch of old play out clothes to a resale shop and they only accepted those pants.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

I love this story! What an awesome display of frugality! :)

Reminds me of a time when my oldest child was a toddler. I bought a dressy sweater and pants outfit at a thrift store for $3.00 It looked new. He wore it til he outgrew it then I sold it on eBay. The winning bid was about $28.00!

To bad you didn't have a picture to post of those pants. I would have loved to see them.

Yes, i am one of those grandma's too. Fixed a whole in the knee from the inside, then my patches get creative. Took grosgrain ribbon and wove 2 colors back and forth like the paper weave. Finally stitch the edge on the repaired pants. Also have used lace doily hearts, other shapes, and put over repairs. Lengthening pants--add a couple rows of fringe, lace, etc. I sew pants also with the false hem to be let down a couple times. First a cuff, then a full leg. One thing, with a pair of fashion boots, the length of the leg did not matter, girls were in style with capri length and boots.

Got the best chuckle out of your story. From another frugal grandmother.

Born 1933 on a black land farm near Penelope Texas, raised by deaf grandparents. Frugal? WOW - I remember things about my grandparents that would put us to shame when it came to saving. They had 150 acres and my father share-cropped for many years. There were 3 huge gardens, a peach tree orchard, and fields of watermelon and cantaloupe. One patch of ground was used every year to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes, yuck! There were 6 hogs to butcher each year and a smoke-house to treat all the meat.

The story about "making children's pants last" reminded me of the clothes we wore on the farm. We crawled on our knees to pick cotton and the knees were patched and re-patched over and over. When we got new clothes they were considered to be the best in dress code.

Wanna know more, please write to me.

Consumer Advice Clothing MakingMay 7, 2010
Pants with a permanent crease.
Adding a Permanent Crease to Pants
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Shorts made from blue jeans.
Making Shorts Out of Pants
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants