Do Rechargeable Batteries Save You Money?

Does anyone know if rechargeable batteries really save you money when you have to pay for the electricity to recharge them?

Freezingjsalyers from Alaska

For me, it depends what the rechargeables go in. For "Battery hungry" devices such as digital cameras, for example, the rechargeables far and away pay for themselves and save tons more money than the electricity to recharge them!

Rechargeables absolutely save money. My favorites are the new 15minute rechargeables by energizer, radio shack etc. the charger costs 20-30 $ depending on if you buy it on sale. the batteries (AA and AAA only) seem pricy at first (8-12$ for a four pack) but I have some that I have charged over 500 times that still work great -- and given that it only takes 15 minutes to charge them make them incredibly convenient. The energy usage to charge them is pennies at most and you are not throwing hundreds of batteries into landfills. I know I've save hundreds of dollars using them and I feel good about not further besieging our planet.

Think green, it feels good and is good, Gina

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go, especially when everything your child plays with requires a battery. The money I saved from not having to run to the store was worth the price of the rechargeables. They are also great for digital cameras and such!

Yes! The electricity needed to charge them is negligible compared to the cost of replacing the batteries every time, plus, you're keeping all those batteries out of the landfill, where they leach mercury and other yummy stuff into the ground. It's important to remember, though, to 1) unplug the recharger when you're done, as it continues to draw electricity; and 2) check the recharger regularly. When it has worked its wonders, unplug it immediately. Never EVER put a regular battery in a recharger. they can explode! At most landfills, and in many communities, there are recycling centers where you can bring back the recharged batteries when they stop holding a charge and they are properly disposed of.

Polly in Cedar Springs, MI

In my experience for batteries for kids use that go dead quickly rechargable will work, but for adults the lithium ion batteries are much more effiecient and use less energy. Anything plugged in uses electricity regardless of whether its being used. So make sure you watch it and unplug as soon as they are charged.

Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersOctober 13, 2008
Getting More Life from Batteries
Getting More Life from Batteries
Recycling Car Batteries, old battery
Recycling Car Batteries
Swiffer Wet Jet
Changing the Batteries on a Swiffer Wet Jet
Several different sized batteries.
Organizing Batteries
🎄
🍂