Use Wide Mouth Food Saver Sealer With Canister

I recently purchased a large canister for my Foodsaver on Ebay. It evidently is an older model (the lid has a white knob with a red center) and the hose for my new Foodsaver wouldn't fit on it - much less vacuum seal. I called Tilia and they said they don't sell the old hoses, nor will they sell a new lid - you have to buy the entire canister. So, I thought I'd really wasted my money.

I found out from another ebayer that I could take Foodsaver's Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer, place it over the white knob on canister lid, attach the hose to the jar sealer and then vacuum seal the canister. This works just great - the air is drawn out of the canister through the jar sealer, creating a perfect vacuum seal.

By Moogie from Denton, Texas

I haven't used a sealer for jars, but I do use gallon jars for my canisters. I can see how much of what I have and if I need to purchase more soon.

My daughter uses old rinsed out metal coffee cans for her canisters. She covered them with wall paper and put labels on stating what was in each can. You can store any number of dry items in them; dried beans, rice, cereal. You are only limited by your imagination. Debbie-Jenn

Hi, I've had my foodsaver for about 8 years. You can use a large canister to seal anything in. Just put the jar (any size which will leave an inch below the canister lid) in after hand tightening the lid and use the wide mouth sealer on the canister. After you've vacuumed it, just release the vacuum and you should hear the 'ping' of the jar actually sealing. I reuse jars from other products to seal leftovers using the canister. I also reseal jars with product still in them so they last longer in the fridge. The kind you use just a bit and then put back in the fridge and it spoils before you need it again. If you reseal it, it will last much, much longer and be there when you need it. I don't use the bags as it's out of our budget range, especially now. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me direct if you prefer. Mari

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsApril 24, 2009
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Vacuum Sealed Corn
Using a Vacuum Sealer
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher