How Do I Get Rid of Ants Outside?

How can I control ants? I have little sand volcanoes all over my driveway. Please help.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Evelyne from Toronto, Canada

I learned from this website to mix equal parts sugar and Borax. Pour it all over the ant hills. You also need to treat every anthill in your yard, etc. at the same time. Otherwise, they will just move to a different nest. This recipe really works.

You can also mop the floor with about half liter of water mixed with two to three drops of lavender essential oil. And then dump that outside over all of the ant hills and that will keep the ants away, too.

The thing with ants is that you need to destroy their scent trails. Using lavender oil, as suggested by kristlemeier, works great, as will anything else really strongly scented. Vinegar can be bought by the gallon at places like Costco and Sam's Club and is a bit cheaper (though not as nice of a smell as lavender). I read somewhere else once that you can also pour boiling water on and down the anthills to kill them and I'd imagine is much safer for your plants than vinegar.

Used coffee grounds. Put them in the area . Also good for the plants indoors and out.

About 10% 20 Mule team Borax in karo syrup warmed for few seconds at a time to dissolve. Squirt into cracks and areas no pets will be able to lick. It could give them a bad stomach. Ants will carry it to the nest. May take a week but nest is killed. A queen lives up to 20 years and produces many more queens. This way you get the whole nest.

Try diatomaceous earth-it is all natural from ocean fossils, a pulverized-powder. It totally works for roaches/crickets/and is supposed to work for ants-it desiccates them-like sucks the liquid out. We scatter outside in a line to the entryway etc. works like a charm. Getting that queen ant? Not sure. We also have doves etc that eat the ants-but the d earth say's it gets ants. Good luck. Pamela from AZ.

I put ant sand around outside the house, also the hotel units I clean. Also spread over any ant holes.

i don't know what kind of ants you have or if this will work, but I use regular sweet n low spread around where I see ants.

I saw it on this site. the ants eat the sweet n low and then take it back home and apparently they eat it and die.

Good luck

Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMay 5, 2010
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄