Can Eucalyptus Be Rooted in Water?

Can you root eucalyptus in water and then plant in Tennessee? I have a cutting from one that is growing here. It's been in water for a long time, but I don't see any roots. Any suggestions?

Karen from Bolivar, TN

Best Answer

Sorry Karen, you can't grow eucalyptus trees from cuttings. Only seed and the seed needs to be scarified. I am not sure what type of weather and soil you have in Tennessee. Australian plants like acid soil and definitely no lime or fertilizers. Most of Australia is either hot or temperate. Snow falls only in a couple of the high country areas in southern NSW and northern Victoria. Most Australian plants aren't suited to snow but there are snow gums (eucalyptus) and a few smaller plants. Hope this helps.

Heather, Australia

Don't give up on it as long as it is still alive. I kept a small Norfork Pine cutting for over a year, just because I liked having something live in my kitchen window. Several friends saw it and made fun of me as "you know you can't root a woody plant such as this."

Imagine my surprise when I started to water it one day and it had roots beginning. I let it go for a few weeks until the roots were a bit longer and then planted it in some quite damp soil. I kept it for about 10 years, until it got too big for my area and gave it to an office that could use a large plant. I don't know about putting eucalyptus outside, but it might be worth a try.

Eucalyptus Branches
Starting Eucalyptus from a Cutting
Home and Garden Gardening RootingJune 9, 2008
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Eucalyptus Oil
Uses for Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus Branch
Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
🎉
🎄