Getting Rid of Musty Smell in Cloth Purse

How do I get rid of a musty smell in beaded handbag with satin lining? It is brand new never used.

By Carol from Beaverton, OR

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

In addition to the newspaper and baking soda suggested already, you might put some coffee grounds in paper envelope (unused coffee grounds) and close that inside the purse for a day or two.

Place a couple scented dryer sheets in the purse. I know my husband's aunt used them alot for the reason!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

January 28, 2011 Flag

I have a new Louis Vuitton hand bag in cloth, but it has sat for so long it has a old musky moldy smell. How do I get rid of smell without ruining the purse?

Thanks.

Jana

Answers:

I've never had to deal with a musty purse, so this is just a guess. I think I'd start by sprinkling baking soda in the purse, and then stuffing it with crumpled newspaper. Both are supposed to absorb odors. I'd close the purse and let it sit for several days to a week (it has been sitting this long anyway, right?). Then I'd empty it out, shaking vigorously and using a vacuum attachment to remove any excess baking soda.

If that improved the smell, but didn't completely remove it, I'd repeat. I wonder if a scented baking soda would work. I have a book with environmentally friendly cleaning recipes, and baking soda can be scented with a few drops of essential oils (just a few drops, and very thoroughly mixed in). The essential oil would help cover the musty smell, but I worry that it might cause spotting. I'd try that with some old fabric first, just to be safe.

Like I said, this is all just a guess, and it's where I would start. Good luck. I hope your purse smells better soon! (12/21/2010)

By mrs.story

Ditto to mrs.story's idea. Bottom line, neither the baking soda or the crumpled newspapers could damage the fabric or purse so why not give it a chance?. A "guess" on my part, too, but can't even imagine how this could harm the purse or cloth. Good luck! (12/21/2010)

By KansasCindy

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 28, 2011
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 7:22:53 AM on 10.0.1.216 in 573 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.