Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Musty Smell in Cloth Purse

How do I get rid of a musty smell in beaded handbag with satin lining? It is brand new never used.

By Carol from Beaverton, OR

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By kerr [4]01/29/2011

Place a couple scented dryer sheets in the purse. I know my husband's aunt used them alot for the reason!

By Jill [4]01/28/2011

In addition to the newspaper and baking soda suggested already, you might put some coffee grounds in paper envelope (unused coffee grounds) and close that inside the purse for a day or two.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Musty Smell in Cloth Purse

I have a new Louis Vuitton hand bag in cloth, but it has sat for so long it has a old musky moldy smell. How do I get rid of smell without ruining the purse?

Thanks.

Jana

RE: Getting Rid of Musty Smell in Cloth Purse

I've never had to deal with a musty purse, so this is just a guess. I think I'd start by sprinkling baking soda in the purse, and then stuffing it with crumpled newspaper. Both are supposed to absorb odors. I'd close the purse and let it sit for several days to a week (it has been sitting this long anyway, right?). Then I'd empty it out, shaking vigorously and using a vacuum attachment to remove any excess baking soda.

If that improved the smell, but didn't completely remove it, I'd repeat. I wonder if a scented baking soda would work. I have a book with environmentally friendly cleaning recipes, and baking soda can be scented with a few drops of essential oils (just a few drops, and very thoroughly mixed in). The essential oil would help cover the musty smell, but I worry that it might cause spotting. I'd try that with some old fabric first, just to be safe.

Like I said, this is all just a guess, and it's where I would start. Good luck. I hope your purse smells better soon! (12/21/2010)

By mrs.story

Ditto to mrs.story's idea. Bottom line, neither the baking soda or the crumpled newspapers could damage the fabric or purse so why not give it a chance?. A "guess" on my part, too, but can't even imagine how this could harm the purse or cloth. Good luck! (12/21/2010)

By KansasCindy