ClothingCleaning

Blue Clothes Turning Purple After Washing

My blue clothes are turning purple after washing them, and I do not know why. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Shajosh from Australia

Did you by mistake add bleach in the wash water? Also run a washing cycle minus the clothes to make sure that the washer tub is free of any bleach residue.

Even non-chlorine whitener will turn clothes. Are you using a detergent with a non-chlorine additive?

However, because blue plus red = purple, I'm wondering if something red is in your laundry? Perhaps rust in the water?

Just some thoughts.

I agree, Bleach is ONE possibility... In my washing machine, I can't run a dark load (like jeans, black or navy) right after a load that had bleach in it.... I have to run a "middle" load of light colors, because, a bit of the bleach always hangs out in my machine...

The only thing I can think of (besides the bleach) is something that changes the PH.... Maybe your water, or another possibility: Are you using "OxyClean" in your wash or a Detergent with "bleach for colors" in it... HMMMmmm... Did one of your kids leave a red marker in their pocket? ... If you DID leave something red in that load, it would have to be pretty strong red to turn blues to purple! ... Was this load of clothes DARK blue (like jeans) or LIGHT blue (like chambray)?

Do you have chlorine in your water. You might want to check on that. Where I'm from they have a tendency to put too much in our water and it will do that.

Try using cold wash, make sure the detergent you are using doesn't have oxi-clean or any type of bleach in it. Read the package contents before buying the soap, some of the new cold wash soaps have oxi-clean in them but don't say that on the front of the box. Next time do only jeans no shirts and see if this helps. Hope your dark things weren't ruin.

Can't help you there, sorry. Last year I bought a dozen large blue bath towels from Wallie World. First time I washed them (NO CLOROX) they turned pink! Good Luck