BridesmaidWeddings

Writing a Maid of Honor Speech

I need help writing my maid of honor speech for my best friends wedding. Can someone please give me some guidelines? An example would be nice.

Josette from Chicago, IL

I found a really good guide at theknot.com The link is here.

http://www.thek  ect=A00523170823

Jot down a brainstorming list of things you would like to say. For example, wish happiness and prosperity, and happy to be chosen for this honor.

Then, try to make a word that helps you remember what you want to say. For example the word to say a good prayer is ACTS: Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. Obviously you cant use this particular word, but you can pattern your memory tool after it.

A tool for a speech is ABBA. If you have studied music, you will know it is a form used for a musical piece i.e. first theme, second theme, second theme, and first theme. You could use this idea for your little speech. Start with an idea. Give another idea. Repeat your second idea in another form. Then, end with what you initially said in the first sentence perhaps stated a different way.

Last, try to organize your jotted thoughts into the different categories. It will organize them.

When I write a speech, the first line is usually not special enough to say.

My technique is to write the speech, and discard the first line. If I get hung up on the first line, then that speech will never be written.

So you could say something like, "Dear friends and relatives who have gathered today to witness this special joining of two hearts," and then inform the audience of one or two special qualities of both the bride and the groom and how they will complement each other and then end with, "Bless you both".

Then discard the first line I wrote in this paragraph (because it serves as nothing more than a launching pad and inspiration for the essay).

Then, be a good friend and type up the essay and give it to the bride for her wedding album. You could even give it to the mother of the bride (if she is in charge of the wedding album) and let her incorporate it as desired. I say this because at my mother's funeral, a beautiful speech was read and I never had the opportunity to request a copy of it from the presenter.

Holly