Cooking Okra Without the Slime

By g.eva27@yahoo.com 1

I fried okra with a little oil and it was slimy and stringy. Then I put water in it to boil it and it still was the same. What can I do to get right?

By g.eva from Turlock, CA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Suntydt 75 877 Flag

Cook it like fried chicken. My mother makes okra with a batter layer and fries it that way. My dad eats like it is his last meal.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Viki 18 59 Flag

The key is to cook the okra in a small amount of oil-olive or coconut are good choices, slowly at a low to medium low temperature, stirring often so it doesn't burn, that way the water in the okra is evaporated and leaves you with yummy lightly toasted okra. Another way to cook okra that isn't slimy, saute with onions, garlic and tomatoes, the acid in the tomatoes cuts the slim and this mixture has a wonderful flavor. Of course you could always toss the cut okra in a bag with corn meal, salt and pepper and fry in oil but I think the flavor of the okra is covered up by the corn meal but that is my opinion.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Becca J 2 28 Flag

I've always found that the lower the temperature when cooking okra, the greater the chance it's going to come out like slime. like Suntydt's mom, we batter our okra in a light coating of corn meal with an egg stirred in then fry it up with a little onion in a hot greased pan. don't normally have any slime or left overs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By LaDonna Bumgarner 1 1 Flag

It's important to have hot oil so your okra does not absorb the oil. Once it's in the pan try not to stir too much so the batter won't will fall off.

okra sliced 1/2 "

milk

corn meal

flour

Mix okra and 2 - 3 T. milk and let sit about 5 min., stir. You want the milk to get thick and gooey, adjust the amount of milk according to the amount of okra you have.

Mix corn meal and flour together with salt, pepper. I use 1/4 flour to 3/4 cornmeal, not an exact science so guesstimate.

Dredge okra in cornmeal mixture and fry in hot oil turning only once or twice until golden brown.

You can add cayenne pepper for a slight bite.

Ahh, the food of Gods!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

fried okra
Cooking Okra
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsSeptember 2, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Making Slime
Making Slime for Kids
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 3:13:51 PM on 10.0.1.32 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings