Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cooking Okra Without the Slime

I fried okra with a little oil and it was slimy and stringy. Then I put water in it to boil it and it still was the same. What can I do to get right?

By g.eva from Turlock, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By LaDonna Bumgarner [1]09/04/2010

It's important to have hot oil so your okra does not absorb the oil. Once it's in the pan try not to stir too much so the batter won't will fall off.

okra sliced 1/2 "
milk
corn meal
flour

Mix okra and 2 - 3 T. milk and let sit about 5 min., stir. You want the milk to get thick and gooey, adjust the amount of milk according to the amount of okra you have.
Mix corn meal and flour together with salt, pepper. I use 1/4 flour to 3/4 cornmeal, not an exact science so guesstimate.
Dredge okra in cornmeal mixture and fry in hot oil turning only once or twice until golden brown.
You can add cayenne pepper for a slight bite.
Ahh, the food of Gods!

By Becca J [2]09/04/2010

I've always found that the lower the temperature when cooking okra, the greater the chance it's going to come out like slime. like Suntydt's mom, we batter our okra in a light coating of corn meal with an egg stirred in then fry it up with a little onion in a hot greased pan. don't normally have any slime or left overs.

By Viki [15]09/03/2010

The key is to cook the okra in a small amount of oil-olive or coconut are good choices, slowly at a low to medium low temperature, stirring often so it doesn't burn, that way the water in the okra is evaporated and leaves you with yummy lightly toasted okra. Another way to cook okra that isn't slimy, saute with onions, garlic and tomatoes, the acid in the tomatoes cuts the slim and this mixture has a wonderful flavor. Of course you could always toss the cut okra in a bag with corn meal, salt and pepper and fry in oil but I think the flavor of the okra is covered up by the corn meal but that is my opinion.

By Suntydt [75]09/02/2010

Cook it like fried chicken. My mother makes okra with a batter layer and fries it that way. My dad eats like it is his last meal.