Invest in the Proper Snow Removal Equipment

contest winner icon
Update: Now is the time to get ready for Winter! We got our first snow today (10-10-09) in MN and are expecting about 6 more inches within the next 48 hours. Just found my bucket with the salt in. Got my stuff in from the garden with 1 day to spare!

Original post is from January 2009.

Grandma J here in MN. Got our share of the white stuff (snow) this winter, more coming. Considering we should prepare in October, it takes the first snow storm for us to do this.

Save your back and maybe your HEART! Investing in good snow removal equipment is essential, even for the basics. I bought a push shovel for about $25. Not a scooper of snow, just push it. Then have another one for scooping. Make sure you try them out in the fashion you will hold it, bend with it, etc. ERGONOMIC tools are there.

For my birthday in December, hubby bought me a new snowblower. Never touched one in my life. Always used the shovel. So when he was in the hospital before Christmas having a total knee, I had to learn to use it. Had to call him for help on the cell phone. Tucked it under my ear, you know how we multi task, and it flew across into a 3 foot snow drift. Me, screaming DON'T HANG UP. DUH! Did not run any trees over, got the property cleaned up nice, I might say.

I also have a scraper blade, looks like a garden hoe on the straight down. A MUST. Pops under the ice chunks, packed snow that you can't shovel off. Use it like a lever.

THEN HIDE your snow tools (but in a handy place for you) so they can't be borrowed by ANYONE! Family forgets where to return things they take "just for a bit".

If you find snow, ice sticking, take an old candle and rub the blade edges. SLICK.

Also, get a couple ice cream buckets and fill with an ice sanding element. Can be sidewalk salt, can be sand (what do you do with the sandbox stuff in the fall? Fill some buckets before dumping the rest into the garden!)

Anything left over can be stored till the next year. DO NOT SET the bag on the basement floor. Salt eats cement in long term position and mega amounts.

Source: Joyce's experiences in life.

By Joyce from Benson MN

Joyce, You made a miserable job sound like it was not only fun but the way you wrote the article was funny! No snow here from the Florida girl but I remember the big snow days from all of my winters in Ohio and in Chicago.

If my husband ever bought me a snowblower for my birthday I think I would tell him to get a good lawyer. LOL

Sandy from Pittsburgh

I think it's a thoughtful present! We've already scooped close to 25 inches this season (probably minor compared to you!), and joked that we'd get our first snowblower for DH's 50th birthday. But we may not be able to wait those few more years. I second your 'get the right equipment' sentiments. Hubby pushes & I scoop since we need to be out the drive by 6:45 am every weekday. Thanks for the post!

Snow Removal
Snow Removal Tips
Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalOctober 12, 2009
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
How to Shovel Snow, Man Shoveling Snow
Shoveling Snow
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School