Beware Self Cleaning Feature On GE Oven

I am so disgusted I could scream! About a year and a half ago DH and I got all new appliances in our kitchen. We have a free standing electric range. We went to Sears and bought a GE self cleaning oven I ran the self clean feature twice per their instructions. It runs for about 3 hours, then turns off and takes a while to cool down so that the latch will open. It got so that the latch would slip down and block the oven door when I was baking something.

I called Sears to come and look at it. The first thing the technician asked me was "How long did you let this clean cycle run?" He then told me that anything over 2 hours would damage the latch. I had just turned it on and let it go for the time they had programmed into it. The end result is that it can't be fixed and a new latch will cost a couple hundred dollars. I told him to forget it. He fixed it so that the latch lever won't flop down and keep me from opening my oven.

I'll just do the Easy Off thing from now on. If you get a new self clean oven, disregard manufacturer's instructions and set the thing to run no more than 2 hours.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

If it were me, I would not take that answer. I would write the manufacturer or phone them and complain loudly! If the manufacturer says that you can do it, you should be able to! Makes no sense!

Better yet. Take all your papers and go to small claims court. It only costs about 35 dollars to file and you can sue for that back. You will win, believe me.

Oh and Sue the store where you bought it. They will not want the bad publicity.

I would definitely tell both Sears & GE customer svc (ask for the customer svc mgr) that you are going to take them to small claims court & if no satisfaction on t heir part to fix this problem which is not your fault at all, you will report them to the attorney general of your state. Consumer affairs of your attorney general's office should be able to help you out. Don't give up for this is not your fault! Don't take it laying down but at least fight first. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck & don't be wimpy but do follow through on this.

I have had GE ovens for many years and the self cleaning feature always runs for about three hours, so the information this repair man gave you just isn't correct. Definitely write or call the manufacturer. They should know when their products don't work properly. Good Luck!

I don't have a GE self-cleaning oven but I cannot control the amount of time my oven cleans itself. It automatically cleans for three hours. If you read this information in the manual, it should be easy enough to have fixed. Or if it doesn't state any where that it shouldn't be on that long, it then should state that. But why would GE even have that option to run it that long if it is not recommended. There shouldn't be a problem to have the manufacturer fix it. They would be liable if the information was not stated correctly in the manual.

Just stand your ground. Whenever you talk to a rep or supervisor, note their name, date and time you made the call. Also, write down the conversation as soon as you get off the phone.

A few years ago, I had a problem with a GE air conditioner that was under warranty. A tech would have to come to our house to fix it. For some reason, they would not send anyone out to fix it and tried to give me a 10% voucher towards a new one. I argued that I had a warranty. To make a long story short, I had to purchase a new GE air conditioner but I got a complete refund. I had to send a receipt to get my refund.

The best part about it was that the air conditioner did work but the problem was that the 'energy save' option would not work. GE knew that the air conditioner did work except for that option. So we still use that air conditioner but without the 'energy save' option.

Yes you need to call Sears and GE again. go to the attorney general if nothing seems to be getting resolved. they should be giving you a new oven if the latch is messing up after a 3 hour clean. I just cleaned my oven (maybe GE, not sure) for 3 hours-not the first time. and call that repair person's sup-they sound lazy and trying to get out of doing what they need.

I too have a Self-clean oven from GE. it is about 4 years old. I run the clean feature about once a month for the 3 hours and have not a problem. I purchased my oven from an independent appliance store When someone tried to open the latch mid cycle, thinking the oven was on fire. A technician from the store repaired the damage latch and we still have no problems. Possibly you had a lemon from the beginning

August 5, 2011 Flag

A few months ago, I posted a warning about my new GE range with self cleaning oven. A few nights ago, my neighbor is frantically knocking at my patio door. She had meat in the oven and couldn't get the door open to get it out. It is the very same model as mine. She bought hers on my recommendation (before I tried to use the self clean feature!)

DH got out his extra long flat head screw driver and opened it for her (sans colorful language, of course.) I just wanted to let everyone know about this piece of junk.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for the update and reinforcement for your original warning. Thumbs up for both you and your DH!

Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Home and Garden Home Improvement Kitchen AppliancesApril 14, 2011
Man Greeting the Dawn
Building Self Confidence and Self Esteem
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Water Feature
Making a Water Feature
🎉
🎄