Scenery: Country Living

Every once in a while, you get behind a tractor driving down the road. I love living in the country!

By Emily

I don't know, Emily, I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I'm almost 61, and have lived in the country for all but 7 years of my life. Now that I'm retired it's no big deal, but when my kids were young and I had to drive them to school, or drive myself to work in the morning, it was definitely frustrating to get stuck behind one of those "charming" tractors or hay wagons for several miles of gravel roads at 25 mph.

Lots of the farmers pulled far to the right side when a car needed to get by. But there were many who drove quite deliberately down the middle of the road, fully aware that they were blocking traffic behind them, fully aware that they were going 20 miles per hour under the speed limit and forcing those following them to do the same. That gets old after a few dozen times.

Leaving extra early every day was the only option, because you could nearly double a 15 minute drive once you got "roadblocked" by an inconsiderate driver.

So while I agree that you've posted a charming photo, I definitely don't miss the time I've spent over the years driving at a snail's pace, inhaling tractor exhaust!

You are so very Blessed! I was raised and lived in two different huge West Coast cities and am so much happier and peaceful living in a small one now! Although I am in a high desert area now and don't have the greenery you do I love driving the nearby country roads with their own unique desert beauty! Thanks so much for sharing your photo!

I love your photo. It looks just like the area where I live! Been behind plenty of tractors, and have also been the one driving them. :-)

I know what Mirador means---the other side of the story. Not fun getting stuck behind a cantankerous old fart. In my area there are now a lot of Chinese farmers. They pullover to let you pass and are very generous about letting you glean their fields after harvest or just sharing unmarketable (not pretty) produce.

Mirador, it doesn't happen too often where we live (mainly before the Memorial Day Parade and the occasional times like this one) and the farmers aren't so rude here. Mostly we just pass them when we can, they don't mind. I just love country living. :) To each his/her own!

Deeli, I love the desert roads. I worked at a camp in New Mexico and it's beautiful country! :)

Quaint, but not cute when they're going their 5mph on a country road that you've taken to avoid traffic, there are no shoulders for passing and you know the next road going anywhere you can long-cut is at least half a mile. Some farms are really broken up and I understand that work has to go on, but I want a car-plane. Now. Thank you.

Old Farm Equipment
Photos of Farm Equipment
Photos SceneryAugust 4, 2010
Whistler Peak
British Columbia Frugal Travel Guide
Colorado
Colorado Frugal Travel Information and Photos
Jamaica Beach
Jamaica Travel Tips - Frugal Travel Guide
African baby in a t-shirt.
Adopting a Child from a Foreign Country
🎉
🎄