Cushings Disease Advice

We have a dog that is part Dalmatian. She has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. She has an overactive thyroid gland. Has anyone had a dog with this disease and if so, what did you do to correct this situation. One vet wants to operate (for $400.00) but no guarantee that she'll pull through. Another said to give her Lysodren pills, which costs $8.00 per pill. Her stomach is getting bigger in size and she pants a lot even though she lives in an air-conditioned house.

Her name is Wishbone. She weighs about 72 pounds and is around 10-12 years old. My Mom is heartbroken thinking she might have to be put down to sleep. If anyone can help with this problem, we'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Amelia from S.D.

Go to and request Cushing's disease remedies.

Dear friend,

My dog, a 16 yr. old Lhasa Apso has many of the symptoms of Cushing's disease. He also has lost the ability to walk; his hind legs are very weak.

Our vet thinks he either had a stroke or has some kind of neurological problem with his brain.

He does pant a lot at times and the vet advised we give him meclyzine, an ingredient in dramamine tablets.

Due to his increased age, vet thinks it is not indicated that we do any more diagnostic tests.

Each case is very individual, however, I did query Cushing's disease on the internet and there are many links where you can read about other case histories of dogs with Cushings.

Good luck. We love our dog and we have resorted to putting diapers on him and caring for him the best we can until we feel he is suffering.

This is our second Lhasa Apso. The first one had cancer and he had surgery and lived for about two years after. Then he had a severe stroke, was hospitalized and passed away.

Hope you find this information somewhat helpful.

M. Leonick

It seems that this breed of dog has many medical problems. Maybe from overbreeding.

A co-worker of mine from years ago had a Lhasa and the dog had Cushing's disease. This dog was getting up there in age and would eat anything and everything due to the disease. My co-worker said the dog would get into the kitchen pantry and tear open and eat things like, flour, raw macaroni, anything the dog could get. The dog finally had to be put down because after awhile, it could no longer get around and was getting sicker and sicker. It's sad when our pets get ill. They are just like our kids and we only want them to feel better.

My nearly 10 yr. old dog has Cushing's. I am trying alternative meds but can't be sure that they are helping. I'm fearful that I'm not doing enough for him. His panting seems to be getting worse and he seems to have difficulty standing up after laying down.

Can anyone advise me?

Your vet knows best. Please do as he advises.

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 16, 2006
Spraying a rose bush.
Treating Roses With Witch's Broom Disease
Treating Fungal Disease on Houseplants
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease
Man With Parkinson's Disease
Activities for Someone With Parkinson's Disease