Storing Artificial Flowers

Category Miscellaneous
It is important to keep these flowers dust free and protected from crushing when storing. This guide is about storing artificial flowers.

A single maroon fabric flower against a white background

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about organizing silk flowers. If you do a lot of crafting using silk flowers, organizing your supply may be a challenge.

I use artificial flowers for every holiday and used to just throw them in a large storage container. Then I started washing out my bread bags because they are the perfect length and started saving those little plastic tabs for holding the bag closed.

You can wash and shape the flowers so it does no real harm to squash them slightly getting them into the bag leaving the stems at the opened end of bag and closing them with tabs. The flowers are quite resilient and you usually have to shape them when you use them again anyway. Also you can see what's in the bags and if not just label them. I found this to work for me and is a space saver as well.

Hello how can i store latex flowers pls ? Tku

Can you store silk flowers in the heat and how hot can they get without damage?

Silk flowers won't be damaged by heat, but if in the sun can fade.

I store silk flowers in my shed. Neither the heat nor the cold has any effect on them. But when you have them in the direct sun, perhaps in a wreath on your door they will fade very quickly.

i am not an expert. but i do not like to store anything in the heat... if hot enough they will disfigure ro bend...and if in direct sunlight. will fade.......

I have several flower arrangements that I would like to use again. The problem is they seem to take up so much room in my craft room, how and where to store them so they want get mashed or dusty?

By Andrea from LA

I store my seasonal silk flowers by rubber banding the stems together about halfway up from the bottom, putting a plastic bag of the appropriate size over the flowers, gathering the open end of the bag around the stems and closing with a twist tie, leaving the upper part full of air, like a balloon, to protect the flowers. I have used plastic grocery bags, wastebasket bags, whatever was big enough to make a sufficient balloon over the flowers, with enough to gather around the stems below. I have stored these bouquets standing in unused vases in the spare room, or laid gently in lidded boxes, criss-crossing the bouquets so that no flower head is resting on any other. They always stay clean and uncrushed this way.

Do you have unused space under a bed?

I have many floral displays that we switch out at the cemetery. I am looking for a way to store them so the arrangements do not get flattened or misshaped.

By cawhat

You can use cleaned, empty oatmeal tubs if the bouquets fit. Push the stem end through a small hole poked in the lid, and they'll hang upside down without touching the sides of the tub. If you don't think you managed to get the tub quite clean enough, you can line it with a produce bag from the supermarket.

If they're too big for oatmeal tubs, try empty shoeboxes - you might be able to fit two bouquets in if you put their narrow ends on oposite sides of the box.

A possibility for short, round bouquets is 2-quart food containers, either something like recycled margarine tubs, or ones you purchased just for storage.

Fishercat