Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

To clean and lubricate the track for sliding doors or windows. First vacuum well, and spray with WD40. Remove grime with brush or cloth. Vacuum again if necessary.

Source: Window installer

By Elizabeth from Indianapolis

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Cricket [201]01/27/2010

I tried using WD40 to clean my sliding door tracks. Even wiped it up as good as I could afterwards. Sure it got them clean, but I started noticing little black paw prints all over my kitchen floor after that. Finally realized it was because the animals were stepping on the tracks and tracking dirty WD40 into the house! It took me forever to clean up the WD40! So now I clean them good with wipes, then dab the tracks with a little oil on a q-tip.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I am trying to find the best and easiest way to clean the track on our patio door. Any help will be appreciated.

Christy from Atwood, IL

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I clean my sliding door tracks every 25 years whether they need it or not, so I am no expert. However, the lazy woman's way is this:

Put isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in a spray bottle. Label the bottle. Spray the track with the alcohol, wipe up the dirt with flour sack cloths or cloth diapers. Then put silicone on the track for smooth sliding.

I use the alcohol spray for window woodwork, door moldings, and any wood, plastic or metal trim around the house. For unpainted wood, I follow up with Orange Glo. (03/29/2007)

By the Oracle

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

i just read you can clean the shower door tracks easily with WD40. i just found out it is non-toxic (made from fish oil), will remove almost any stain, and lubricate the tracks as well. cheap too! might be worth a try. it was also suggested for cleaning glass cooktops, stops fire ant pain, applied externally, it helps arthritis joint pain, keeps bathroom mirror from fogging, attracts fish...spray on bait and hooks, (03/29/2007)

By Debbie in sc

Editor's Note:WD-40 is made from petroleum products and is considered toxic. The manufacturer recommends that rubber gloves should be worn. The fish oil story is an urban legend.

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I'm not sure if you want to clean dirt off of it or make it slide more easily. The tracks (at least in my door) usually have holes in them and spaces in the track so that they can drain if water gets in there or so that the dirt can be removed from the track. If the holes seem full of dirt, loosen the dirt with a nail until you can get water to flow through them.

What I used to do with mine (I have a different door now) was sweep it with a whisk broom until I got all of the loose dirt off. Then I would spray it with an all purpose cleaner and scrub it with a brush until the dirt was loose and rinse it with clear water. A houseplant watering pitcher works well for this (the kind with a long skinny spout.

Then, dry it with rags or paper towels. When it was clean, I'd take a bar of soap and run it over the tracks. It would then slide easily until the next time. A piece of wax or old candle also works for this. (03/29/2007)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I have 2 sliding doors, the only thing that I have found to really work is-any spray cleaning solution and an old toothbrush. The little brushes that are used to clean automatic coffee pots work as well. To keep from having to do this job after it gets out of hand, I use a regular Q tip about once a week along with anything like windex or any cleaning spray. (03/29/2007)

By Margeth

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

Use WD-40. Spray a good amount all along and open and shut the slider a few times. Then just wipe out the excess. It will get all the ick out of the tracks and keep them in good shape too. Good luck! (03/30/2007)

By Michele

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I use a thick kid's/craft paint brush to loosen the dirt and suck it up at the same time with my vacuum's crevice tool. After, you can dip the brush in soapy water to get any stuck on dirt. Rinse the brush a couple of times to make sure you 'mop' up any soap residue. You can spray the track with WD-40 to keep it running smoothly, but I find that makes any dust or dirt stick even more. (03/30/2007)

By cbambrick

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

First use the vacuum to get loose items out, then simply spray the scrubbing bubbles on the track, let it sit a few minutes, then use an old toothbrush/q-tip/pipecleaner to get into the cracks. Be sure to allow tracks to dry before using again. (03/30/2007)

By Hoffmann House Network

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

My friend that used to clean says WD-40, I usually clean it first. I wrap a butter knife with cloth and pull up any grounded dirt. Use a cleaning solution, soap and water or kitchen spray. But let it dry. (03/13/2008)

By Cherie

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

I use butter. (10/20/2008)

By Chris

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

There's one thing that all these people didn't mention. After you get it good and clean and have sprayed it with whatever kind of lubricant you decide to use, make sure you get back down there and wipe it almost dry again! This is especially important if you have pets that go in and out that door, but even important if just people go through it. I mention this because the first time I did mine I didn't wipe it back out good enough and my dogs tracked dirt into the slide and then picked up the WD-40 and that mixed with the dirt and got tracked into my kitchen and then into the living room!

I learned my lesson real fast after finding greasy paw prints going across my floor and carpet! (08/23/2009)

By Cricketnc

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

Treswax furniture wax applied in the track of your sliding glass door after cleaning tracks in the method of your choice however, using chemicals to aluminum will damage the metal over time. Furniture wax will not damage any surface and when applied to faucets (wiped on - buffed off ) will create a protective barrior, and have a great shine. This tip came from an employee of True Value Hardware Store in Mt. view Ca (08/23/2009)

By lynda5050

RE: Cleaning a Sliding Door Track

Once you are done cleaning the track, use candle wax on the rail that the door slides on. It will glide, last a long time and doesn't make a mess. Oils and such run off and make a mess but the candle wax stays where you put it. A little bit will fall off as you're applying it but vacuums up easily. Michael (08/23/2009)

By jalli87583