Cheap Cat Collars

Cat collars, on the cheap! Use plain elastic! Tie it. The beauty of a piece of elastic is that it won't choke a cat and works as an expandable "breakway" collar. Another cheap collar: Cut off the ribbed tops of old socks. Make five collars per sock. Nice and soft! This should also be listed under "what to do with old socks!"

By Mary from Kensington, MD

(Sent in by Email)

It seems to me this may be dangerous. I

think that a cat could get that tangled while outside, and it could just

become more and more tangled, and tighter....

Susan M.

I agree that this sounds dangerous. If a cat is wearing a piece of elastic round their neck while they're squeezing through a tight place, part of the elastic could get caught and your cat may end up being strangled.

I know that I am unable to break the top of a sock with my bare hands, so I doubt that it would break away if a cat wore it. Please everyone, before you put elastic or any sort of material on a pet, test it yourself first to make sure that it will break if caught on a nail or something similar.

My cat would try to play with the elastic, it's her favorite thing to play with elastic string (long pieces and she doesn't eat them just stretches them). But socks on a cat, that just seems kinda not safe and ugly. Oh well, to each his own, but I personally don't mind paying a few dollars for the break away collars, Wallyworld has them for less than $4, we then add a different bell for either cat, so we know which one is coming!

Yes, if it isn't elastic, no if it is elastic.

I've used elastic with a bell for years and it works fine. I got tired of paying store prices for new collars every month or two, plus custom tags. I know the elastic collars don't get caught and choke them because the cats lose them, too! They can take them off themselves if they really set their minds to it. The difference is I replace them for pennies.

My vet says she buys cheap collars by the bunch at the dollar store and writes her phone number on them with a Sharpie. I have been to a lot of dollar stores but I can't find what she's talking about. It's doubly annoying because I paid good money to have my cats microchipped and it turns out most people don't bother to check for microchips when they find a lost cat! So right now all I have is a bell for the birds. I'm still working on the ID issue.

A golden retriever chewing on a bone.
Saving Money on Pet Supplies
Pets AdviceJuly 30, 2007
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver