Vanilla Extract as Odor Remover

I recently inherited a piece of furniture that had unfortunately been in a fire; nothing was wrong with the dresser other than the smell of smoke. My colleague told me to try this, and it worked wonders at eating the odor! Take a paper towel, dampen it and sprinkle with vanilla extract; place in a small container. I took the container and put it in the drawers, one at a time, for about three days. It worked great!

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

June 9, 2011 Flag

When we were first married, an ice storm hit our area while we were away. We returned home to find our new freezer full of spoiled shrimp and venison. The smell was horrible! I tried everything to get the odor out, but nothing worked.

Desperate, I called my father for help. He told me to spray the interior of the freezer with vanilla flavoring, shut the door, and leave it for a few hours. It worked! The odor was completely gone.

I have since used this technique on ice chests, and once even used clear vanilla flavoring on the interior of our car after my husband tried to transport fresh shrimp in a leaky container. It worked and did not stain the carpeting.

Source: An old fisherman's trick passed down to me from my dad.

By onesoutherngal from MI

I always use vanilla flavoring in my ice chests when I clean them after each use. I have even used it in stinky ice chests after my husband put his fish he caught in them. You know, men never wash them out as good as we women do, so they get a smell.

Would this work on other odors? Like pet urine?

Just reminded me that you can add clear vanilla to white paint to help with new painted room smell. And if the paint color is in the beige/brown tones you can use regular vanilla. GG Vi

Vanilla Extract
Uses for Vanilla Extract
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsOctober 7, 2010
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes
Almonds
Substitution for Almond Extract
🎉
🎄