Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds

Do long haired dachshunds shed? How often do they need to be cut or shaved? Thanks.

By Bonnie from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

All creatures with hair shed. Period. Some shed less thus the label "nonshedding". Frequent brushing will have the hair where you want it (in the brush) instead of on the furniture. Most people with long haired doxies don't cut the hair. If you want to you can cut it as often as it's in the way. Probably about every 8 weeks would keep it quite short.

Ok, I own a shih tzu which takes constant shaving, so sounds like the doxie will not require the same. I rescued the doxie 2 weeks ago. She seems to have trouble socializing and is very aggressive. I presume a muzzle would help. Other than that, she is very loving obedient dog follows me every where. Of course I can't not know what abuse she went through. Thanks. for your info.

Long hair dachshunds never have to be cut or shaved! Their hair will grow a nice length and silky but should not get extremely long. They do need daily brushing, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes if it's maintained.

As far as shampoo, I use an oatmeal based doggy shampoo on mine. The oatmeal helps to soothe any itchy spots on them. For long hairs, you can also use a small amount of doggy conditioner too. This will help maintain the silkiness of their hair.

Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
Pets Dogs GroomingOctober 30, 2009
dog with hair covering its eyes and messy coat
Removing Mats and Tangles from a Dog's Coat
Wet dog wrapped in a blue towel.
Grooming Difficult Dogs
Grooming Your Dog, Cocker puppy in a tub with a rubber duckie.
Grooming Your Dog
Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos