Use Clear Take Out Containers As Greenhouse

I love collecting seeds to propagate. I have been most successful in sprouting even difficult seeds by creating my own tiny greenhouse. I could buy one, but I prefer to use what I find in my own recycle bin. The plastic containers that rotisserie chickens from the supermarket come in and some take out containers from restaurants are PERFECT! The clear plastic ones with a "locking" lid. Some are all clear and some just have a clear lid, both are great.

Clean out the container with warm soapy water, rinse well, dry, and place your soil and seeds inside. Water enough to make soil wet but not enough to have runoff or "pool" when you tilt the container. Close the lid tightly

Place your "greenhouse" in a sunny window, let the condensation build, and open the lid every 2-3 days to check your seedlings and moisture level. If dry, add a small amount of water from a spray bottle.

Transfer sprouts to open pot or garden once your seedling is strong and tall! Admire your green thumb!

By EconomyStimul8r from Sunny South Florida

What a good idea. I am going to try that. I have seeds that I have been meaning to plant but wanted to make sure that they would sprout. This will certainly work better.

Hello...a great post. If I might add a couple of things: the large plastic containers that have Earthbound Farms organic lettuce are wonderful to use. Earthbound Farms has the directions on using them as seed starting containers on their website. The directions work for other containers also. I would suggest putting a few holes in the bottom of any container you use and then putting the container on a dish or tray to catch any drippings. Many seeds are pretty susceptible to rot if they become too moist. Also watch for the green of the seeds to emerge and then remove the top. I use a spray bottle to mist the seeds when the soil starts to dry out and it will also help keep them from getting too moist. A good friend had started a number of tomatoes from seeds and all was well until they were watered too much and they all rotted. Recycling containers for seeds is great both cost-wise and ecologically-wise. Thank you!

Seed Starts by Window
Starting Seeds Indoors
Home and Garden Gardening MiscellaneousAugust 2, 2010
growing food in a greenhouse
Growing Vegetables in a Greenhouse
Plants with grow lights.
Making an Indoor Greenhouse
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
old windows greenhouse
Using Old Windows to Build a Greenhouse