LaundryCleaning

Removing Gasoline (Petrol) Smell from Clothing

When I fueled up my ATV on a snowy day I spilled gas on my outdoor pants. How can I get rid of the smell? I'm living in Norway, so please don't recommend a cleaning agent you only have in the US. I am looking for some household way. Please help.

By Fritti from Norway

http://www.ehow  ut-clothing.html

Surely a grocery store in Norway will sell one of these items to remove the gasoline smell.

Soak it in straight Coke overnight, then run through wash.

Yet another useful thing that Coke can be used for besides drinking it!

Anonymous

I accidently got gasoline on my son yesterday while at the pump. I read tons and then tried the tip with Coke and it really does work. I'm not talking about a little spot either ...it was a lot of gas, possibly about 5 cups. I used a one liter of Coke, a half cup of liquid dish soap and 5 cups of hot water. Mixed it all in garbage bag and placed jeans and shirt inside to soak for 3 hours.

I dumped the clothes into washer and ran through wash on warm and guess what? The smell is gone. Saved a new pair of jeans and a north face jacket. Thank goodness. I never did like Coke but now I love it...lol

To remove gas (petrol) smelling from clothing, soak overnight in baby oil (use as if you would like Downy), then wash in baking soda, then wash with normal detergent. It rid an entire basket of clothes of the "gas smell". Try it it works.

By M'LYKA from Shelby, NC

Answers:

Do not put clothing in the dryer due to a fire until you know it's all out, and I just read that a little baby oil with the detergent and no other non-gas clothes washing them twice, and gets it out. (02/13/2009)

By Lea