Canister Vacuum Cleaner Reviews

Any suggestions on canister vacs that work well on carpet or bare floors? I would like to purchase a dependable one at a good price! I prefer one that is light.

Lisa from Fayetteville, GA

We have birds, cats, and dogs as pets and a concrete floor in our house. Top that off with the fact that I keep horses in my back pasture and am constantly tracking in mud, hay, etc. Seed and pieces of wood from the the birds' toys richochete like crazy in most vacuum cleaners making double-duty on the cleaning! So I've tried QUITE a few! The one that I found worked the absolute best while being extraordinarily comfortable is the Magic Blue by Kenmore (Sears). The only reason I don't use one now is because I needed something with more bag capacity because we really do have an inordinate amount of stuff to vacuum daily. However, a house with a normal number of pets or even kid messes would be handled easily by the bag. To save money, buy the bags bulk on ebay or online.

The vacuum has adjustable suction power, an adjustable height handle (so no stooping over), awesome suction power that did NOT lose strength (unlike most other vacs I've tried), etc etc. Second best is the one I'm using now which is a Bissell Lift Off Revolution Deluxe. It's not a canister, but you can use it like one (and I always do). It's bagless, very filtered, hasn't lost suction power yet (amazing here as birds are very dusty). See, it comes with a hose that you unhook at the back and put the (included) canister vac-type stick and floor tool on. It really is a great vacuum.

I just realized that my Bissel that I just recommended has an additional feature that I'm thrilled about! You can push a button and the main vacuum motor totally separates from the body (which usually would vacuum floors) and you can wear it with a strap around you so you can freely walk around the house (within limits of the chord or course, which is remarkably long). I had NO idea! I was just moving the main part of the vacuum when I wanted to move. You could still do that if you want a very light vacuum, or wear it over your shoulder like i just did.

Also very easy to take apart (and the hoses are clear so you can find any clogs) in case you get anything caught up in there. I only just did that for the first time (which is another miracle around here) and very easily removed a big piece of something I vacuumed up without even having to sit down.

I have used for the last 5 or so years a shop vac. I love it. It cost about $40 with most of the attachments that I wanted. I also got a central vac head from Ebay for about $75. I can pick up any and everything with mine. Water, dirt you name it. I will always use the shop vac. Oh! I can even blow off the carport instead of sweeping. They are not very girly or pretty, but I love mine. I have tile throughout our house.

I had a canister vac which I loved, found it at Sears the day after Thanksgiving. It quit working but I kept the floor attachment so I can use it with my other vaccuum. I wouldn't buy another one, as I found that even though they are really great, the canister part bumps on the corners of the wall and the paint eventually chips off. Now I use my good vac with the canister attachment, I'm able to avoild those corners and still get good results on my floor. By the way, I only use this on my wood and tile areas. For carpet, I still like the upright.

I love my Sear's canister vacuum. I gave away a 1200.00 upright ( Kirby ) and got this one. It does a much better job and is so easy to use! It also came with a little upholstery attachment that is wonderful on getting up pet hair. 5 stars to Sear's!

PS: I have cement floors too. No carpet.

July 15, 2011 Flag

I need to buy a canister vacuum with cleaning attachments. I'd appreciate hearing about brands that you've had good results with. Thank you!

By Carly K.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an older Kenmore canister. Love it! It has given me many years of good use.

Dirt Devil Breeze is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. I bought mine about 10 years ago at Meijer and paid $69.00 for it. Worth every penny.

I just purchased a RICCAR about 1 yr ago and although mine's an upright, I love it. They are a little more expensive than other brands, such as Hooker, Eureka, etc., but very well made an made in the USA. Like I said, mine's an upright, but I'm sure they also make a canister model. I also bought mine from a locally owned dealer in Ohio. You might want to look them up (?) to see who in your area carries them. I don't think the big box stores carry them. Hope this helps.

Woman Using Vacuum Cleaner
Vacuum Cleaner Product Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and Home Vacuum CleanersMarch 11, 2007
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Making a Vacuum Cleaner Cover
Red Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum