Decorating with Antique French Doors

I have two antique french doors from my aunt. I'm looking for suggestions on how to decorate with them. One door has all the glass panes and the other is missing two panes.The wood is in pretty nice shape. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

By Marisa from MD

I have seen old doors used as a headboard. Place them against the wall. It would be safest to attach the doors to the wall. Visit the hardware store and ask them to suggest an appropriate fastener.

Is there anywhere to actually install them? Between a dining room and living room, for example.

I would love to put them in the house as doors but it's not going to happen. I'm thinking of displaying them somehow, just not sure what to do. I have a lot of antiques and they would look nice some where, some how...LOL! Thanks for the advise. Keep it coming!

Have you thought about turning them into a privacy screen and just add piano hinges and rollers to these doors. Where clear glass is, you can use panes of stained glass that gives an artiistic flair and color. The hinged doors could be used as dividers to create a cozy corner for reading or computer use or a game/jigsaw puzzle area.

Nice ideas, my head is wandering all over my house now. Thanks for the ideas.

You could use them as a photo collage, with each pane displaying a family or even antique photo. On the two panes that are missing glass, you could mount a fabric covered board and pin on an antique brooch or even display a family member's military medals. If you hinge the doors together, then the photo collages can double as screens or room dividers.

Back with photos or other memorabilia, and either hinge and use as a screen or singly as a wall hanging, or over a bed.

If you use as a headboard, you could use simply as the framing without glass or pictures and back with some complimentary fabric. If the wood is in brown tones, a coppery fabric with a sheen might be very nice. Have fun!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceFebruary 5, 2010
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
French Doors
Inexpensive French Doors to Replace Sliding Glass Door
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
🎉
🎄