Freeze Makeup to Prevent Bacteria

Recently, a friend and I were talking about cosmetics. She wanted to know how long I thought some of them were usable before bacteria would set in and make them unsafe to use.

I told her I put mine in the freezer overnight every couple of months. This will kill any germs that have transferred onto the make-up from using them. This saves me a lot of money. Buying make-up every 3 months or so can get very expensive.

I have family members who wind their lipsticks out and dip them in alcohol. But you can't dip or spray alcohol on everything. I haven't had any problems yet by doing this.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

This works for powdery makeups and things that are well emulsified. Many lipsticks and mascaras will begin to separate once frozen. Take caution when doing this.

I heard on a talkshow recently that cosmetics don't have that much bacteria, because the ingredients of the make up are all chemicals, and bacteria can't live in the chemicals. Just a thought.

Cosmetics don't have much bacteria but your fingers do. If you use your fingers then you are leaving behind germs. Also brushes that you use that touch your face picks up bacteria off your face and then you put it in the make up. You know it does not matter what you do any more, germs are everywhere we just have to be careful!

A woman using an eyebrow pencil.
Makeup Tips and Tricks
Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up Tips TipsMarch 18, 2010
Girl Playtime Make-up
Faux Make-up For Playtime
Mascara
Removing Eye Makeup Stains from Fabric
Homemade Halloween Makeup
Homemade Halloween Makeup
Woman Applying Eyebrow Pencil
Eyebrow Pencil Usage Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄