What is the Best Way to Crack Hickory Nuts?

What is the best way to crack hickory nuts to get lots of halves?

By foxygram from Combined Locks, WI

Very carefully! Sorry, couldn't resist saying that. My mom used to collect hickory nuts because she loved them so much. But boy are they a lot of work. I really don't think there is an easy way to do it. Just takes a lot of time. In the related pages here, I see that you can freeze them to make them easier to crack or soak them. That is news to me. Good luck!

I have soaked them overnight in water and then put them in a food dehydrator for 2-3 hours: they split open enough so you can pop in half with the twist of a sturdy knife. (Picking the meat is still a bit challenging but no "shrapnel" like you get with a vice or hammer!)

Shelling Nuts
Shelling Nuts
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 26, 2010
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Brazil Nuts
Recipes Using Brazil Nuts