Contact Dermatitis Help

My best friend has a severe case of contact dermatitis. His arms are scarred from all the itching. His face, arms and hands become VERY irritated and break out. He's 40 and this has only been happening for about 4 years. His dermatologist gave him an allergy test and he's allergic to almost everything now. We know it has a lot to do with his immune system.

He's been taking vitamins, antioxidants, and TONS of medicated creams and ointments. They barely even offer temporary relief. I feel so unbelievably terrible for him. This is becoming unbearable for him.

Does anyone have any experience with this condition? Please share. Thanks.

Jo from Jackson, TN

Vitamin C can be taken at a very high level. Bowl tolerance is the amount that your body can absorb from the digestive system. Ascorbic acid crystals dissolve in water or juice. They are pure without binders that are required for pills. I take 10,000 mg per day. That is one tablespoon. Your friend might need more. When the vitamin starts to work, the itching will subside. Eventually the rash should disappear and new dermatis should not occur. is a good site for more information.

Vitamin A is important for skin health and vitamin E rubbed on scars may help them to disappear.

I was allergic from childhood. My brothers and I had excema and then developed hay fever. I learned about Vitamin C to prevent cancer and was thrilled to become allergy free.

There is a site that many on there can talk to you and get you help in the right directions. It is . The people on there are very helpful as we all have a lot wrong with us. This is the polyarteritis nodosa group.. Good luck.

I found Epson salt baths to be soothing and helped to break the cycle of maddening itching.

Nighttime was the worse time for me. Sleep was impossible because the mere touch of the sheets irriated my skin. So here we have a Southern folk medicine to the rescue--cornstarch! I know I took it to the extreme when I poured a box of it on the bed and rubbed myself all over in it, but the cornstarch made the sheets feel like silk (maybe silk sheets would have been simpler?) and reduced the friction. Yes, very messy, but I found relief.

Has your friend researched celiac disease? That can cause severe skin problems. The only "cure" for celiac disease is the TOTAL elimination of gluten from the diet. Blood tests are available to diagnose the disease.

I would highly recommend any books by Dr. Sherry Rogers. I have experienced a wide range of allergies and contact dermititis as well. Dr. Roger's books are aimed at strengthening the immune system using reasonable dietare changes. She also stresses reucing your total load. ie removing from your environment all that adds to your body's stress. (scents, household chemicals, pesticides...) After doing this and taking a daily dose of "barley green" (pure not a mixture) I have been symptom free for several years.

I have a form of dermatitis and I take Zyrtec. I still will get welts but it controls the itching. Zyrtec is the only thing that helped me. Mine is a presription.

Hope this helps.

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 7, 2005
Contact Paper Crafts
Craft Uses for Contact Paper
Painting Over Contact Paper
Uses for Contact Lens Cases, Green and white contact lens case.
Uses for Contact Lens Cases
woman cleaning
Removing Glue Residue Left By Contact Paper