Re-Covering a Speaker Cabinet

I have a speaker that was damaged in shipping (UPS) and was thinking of re-covering the cabinet. The cabinet is constructed of particle board covered with a fake wood vinyl laminate - or something. Anyway, I was thinking of completely re-covering the cabinet with some sort of cool fabric. Is this something that would be difficult for someone with no experience with this sort of thing? If not, any ideas on what I could use would be great. I am male, so I don't want anything girly looking (heh).

speaker box

Rusty from Dexter, MI

Hey Rusty, I have recovered chairs but never a speaker; the only thing I suggest is using a light colored fabric. If you use something dark, like black, it will show dust alot. Good luck with your project, and post pictures when you have finished!

Rusty, is the damage to the cabinet itself or to the black part of the speaker? If you are into a Contempary look you could take some screen wire and staple it on. You can go find you some fabric that isn't Attach it the same way...staple gun...or glue gun. Hope this helps.

I worked at Joann Fabrics last year. They carry speaker fabric, headliner fabric, fake suede, printed vinyl, spandex and lots more. If you want to cover the whole thing, wrap it like a Christmas present, with the fabric seam in the back. If you're a bad wrapper ask someone for tips. Then just staple it to the back.

Rusty - I have seen home improvement shows where you can "wallpaper" with fabric. The fabric is dipped into a liquid starch solution, and then hung just like wallpaper. The cool thing is, when you get tired of it, it peels right off! This has been recommended to people who rent their apartments or houses and aren't allowed to make permanent changes to the property. Having said that, I think that this would certainly allow you to affix the fabric to the speaker cabinet, and if you get tired of your chosen fabric, you can do it all over again. I would check out the DIY website or the HGTV website for instructions.

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureJanuary 17, 2006
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Stereo Speakers
Removing Dog Urine Stains on a Speaker