Getting Rid Gnats In Litterbox

I have 3 cats and 2 large litter boxes for them and I am having a huge gnat or fruit fly problem. I keep the litters clean and get rid of everything the bugs would like, but they are still here. I want to get rid of the bugs, but not the cats. The bugs have been here since the last summer began and no doubt will be twice as bad when summer comes again. Please help! They are so annoying.

By Carolyn

Put 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in a plastic cup, then two drops of dish washing liquid (cheap is fine, too) to break up the surface adhesion. The bugs will dive in and drown. This is the cheapest and easiest way to keep them at bay.

Chances are you aren't cleaning the litter box often enough. What kind of litter are you using? I suggest the clumping kind. If you aren't currently using that you will be happier using the clumping so you can scoop both the urine and the poopie once or twice a day and put in a used veggie bag or grocery bag to dispose of. It's so much easier and will keep those bugs away. If you buy store brand clumping litter it's a lot cheaper than name brand. Even then you might think the cost is outrageous but it's really not because you're not having to throw out all of the urine soaked regular litter, only the clumps. Be sure to clean and dry the litter box thoroughly before putting the new litter in.

I have always used balsamic vinegar in a small bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and with a fork poke little holes in plastic wrap. The little buggers will get in and drown. I use this when fruit flies come out. Works wonders. Jenwa

I had 2 cats and one lived to be 18 years old. I never ever had your problem. I am guessing it's either in the cat's diet (bugs must be liking something in there), or else it's something in the litter. I only used Scoop Away. Loved it.

Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsFebruary 5, 2011
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Yellow Lab puppy.
Litterbox Training a Puppy