DishesCleaning

Corrosion on Stainless Steel?

My dear husband filled my stainless steel stockpot with water for the cat while we were gone for the weekend. Now, there's a white, crumbly corrosion around the rivets that join the handle to the stockpot. I've cleaned it off, but my question is this: Is it still okay to use the pot for cooking food? If not, what else can I do with it (short of throwing it away). It's not my best stockpot, but it's still a nice pot.

Camilla

Just put a little clorox on a cloth and wipe the stock pot all over. It will be sanitized and usable again.

Be sure to rinse good.

It is not really corrosion. It is mineral buildup from your water, left behind as the water evaporated while you were gone. Since you were able to get it off, all you need to do now is wash it to get the "kitty germs" off and keep using it as you usually do. It you weren't able to get it all off, you can use Lime Away or CLR or any other mineral remover (found in the cleaning aisle). Follow directions and wash well afterwards. Or you can just leave it, it won't hurt anything.

It might be just calcium. You might be able to get the remnants off with a little lemon juice or vinegar. A light swirl of bleach before the final rinse ill take care of "kitty germs" : )

juat rub vinegar on it , that should take care of it.

Moanagroana

Bar Keeper's Friend! Go to their website.Just type barkeepersfriend. I use it on stainless steel, copper bottoms, fiberglass, porcelin, etc. Just make a paste. I use a toothbrush on some items. But beware not to scratch. It is a polisher, great cleaner.

Wait till you see the results. Try it you'll like it!